Reminder Secure

Ok --- How bad

This thread is being watched by 1 person
17 April 2014 18:29
pearhere
Photographer

O.K. ---review my profile and picks. I am studying hard and [lan to memorize evry detail of the first book I have read about how to pose models to create portfolios. It is written "for the photographer" and this is how a rel photography is to me - one who knows the poses --a photogrpher who can take the model and improve her into a real model. A photographer who simply knows how to shoot is not a good photogrpher if the model does not know how to pose. This is my stong belief. Further -- photography is an art and if the photogrpher leans the poses--he can then modifiy them "into an art" . I am now on a second detailed book .photography is art -- vie my portfolio images Keep in mind I have barely been able to put my knowledge to use. I have a model who I was supposed to shoot yesterday. Unfortunately she had somethingcome up and I am getting over something (as in a small virus). We have rescheduled and and are planning a very detailed "one on one" every Wednesday " for at least several weeks beginning on the 30th --and we are both committed for the long hall. Until then lookat my images and keep in mind my main concentration was with the gal wearing white. I gues this is not exactly a portfolio but I am treatingit as such. If I had been doing a ne on one with her I think I would have done better.

Hugh Spence is off-line
18 April 2014 02:24
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

A lot of your shots look over-posed and stiff to me.
Suggestions:-
1 Try to alter the composition so the model is not in the middle of the picture.
"Sex Sells The Shoes" is slightly on a diagonal, but  "Sexy Legs Sell Intimate Apparel" is straight up and down, leaving the top right of the picture empty. If you had placed the model so the legs came down the diagonal it would have helped the composition. "Model Shoot" has the model's body and face (but not eyes) facing to the right, out of the picture. It would have worked better if there were more space to the right.

2 Crop unwanted background out. It is the model we want to see, not blank sky. All three shots of the girl in the red shirt have a lot of sky there . The one titled "Model Shoot" uses some of this for your logo, but that could have been chopped off and moved down and to the right. I think you got the space at the top right in "Face to Make Up" but I'd have chopped off the rock on the right. I like the idea of "Elegance", but I'd have liked a bit off the top and a slightly lighter feel to the image.

Profile Pictures is off-line
18 April 2014 02:29
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

So far, I'd say you have no feel fr what looks god in a picture, as mentioned, your composition is uninspiring and the models look cheesy and dated in posing terms. The photography isn't too bad but given the settings you had available for landscapes, you've really not made the best of them.

Get over the book thing, it's not working well so far.

18 April 2014 03:43
Socialdisaster
Photographer

I have to say, if I saw a model pulling any of those faces through my lens, I'd stop them immediately. This alone makes me think you don't really "get" what makes a decent shot.

You main pic if by far the best on your port, but the angle and closeup of the shoes spoils it.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Razoir is off-line
19 April 2014 05:17
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Throw the book away.

Interact with your model. Develop ideas and work towards them but watch for the idea developing its self, then grab the shots that present.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

19 April 2014 09:07
pearhere
Photographer

Alright --I have herd it all before and guess what.You all are exactly right ! The books I choose are extremely vital and accurate and will serve me well with great detail unlike what you can find in any bookstores --and if I were practicing what I have been reading ----then you all "would have all been" be exactly correct--dump the books. ---------BUT----- you are completely wrong about that !!!!! I will do no such thing and here is why. I did not--- on these shoots practice anything in the books --nothing ---- So I misrepresented what I have learned. (this is why authors do not want their names mentioned).I have learned a great deal and I will not mention the authors names -- but they are probably amoung the 10 or 12 best fashion photographers in the world. So if I am not practicing any of the techniques then I am giving a completely inaccurate picture of the value of these resources as well as what I am capable of now doing ! I am not practicing any tchniques I have been learning !--- NOW-- here is a correction to what I just said -- "I just Lied" -------Well not exactly. I practiced one thing and "one thing only" from the knowledge I gained from my valuable text sources (only one)----that would be "HANDS". This is just about the first REAL attempt I have made at model photography. My only previous attempt at it was nearly two years ago when I took the first few images you all saw-- which are basically all the ones that were not shot at Utah Lake.(mainly the first few shots in my profile). I have decided that the only way to do this and become professional is to zoom in on one specific aspect of model photography. So I have basically no real experienced at it and as such I felt the hands would be a great starting point as it will not get me "slapped up" if I move too quickly. Also I feel hand are an art form. I have noticed that (at least on model mayhem 90 percent of the models have no idea what they are doing. Of the professional--- 10 percent - about three quarters of them look good except they ruin their images by "not doing anything with the hands" -- thereby trashing their image. So this is my specialty and if I can practice up long enough with a model then I will move on to other aspects of the pose. I know most of the books but until I get model to practice with " my ship is basically sunk". So I would be upset at the "correct critiques" except that I just need a few "one on one practice sessions" then my light will really begin to shine. I have no intension of failing with this whatsoever. I do have a question or two. A lot of advertising shows models with scenic backgrounds (which is what I want to do --but I am also willing to zoom in close on some shots and show NO background). Zillions of top notch photographers rather they are in London or New York or wherever show attention grabbing scenery AND the model . So--how can one get the attention grabbing background scenery if they zoom in real close??????????????? So once again I was not thinking about the model "looking out of the frame" when I took these. Also was not too concentrated with her expression. Also these models mostly have very little-- almost no experience. Besides the possibility of using scenery "as a prop" I hope you all who were nice enough will go back and do what I should have emphazised I wanted you to do -- that is go vck and look at the hands--mainly the gal wering the floral outfit. The main one she has her hands close to her (not stretched out towards the camera) and the hand towards the left in the frame9her right hand) kind of curves up. --that is the photo I thought you should all critique. Thanks again and as soon as I get a few prtice sesions in I will be able to use the model to show what I really know and not mislead you all--BOB --- ps I do have a model ined up for at least 3 sessions starting about the 30th--I can't wait

19 April 2014 10:16
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Learn to use sentences, please, that's unreadable.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Razoir is off-line
19 April 2014 10:31
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Look up Asperger's Syndrome.

This is a case of if you do not understand it now, you probably never will. Reading a book will not give it to you.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

RKD Photographic is off-line
19 April 2014 10:49
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

All of your location shots look to me like average holiday snaps. You say you deliberately ignored the advice in the books? May be time to try it their way after all...
"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Neil Anderson is off-line
19 April 2014 15:06
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

The hands look ok. When do you do the chapter on shoulders?

Most of the skill to shooting models is to choose the right model,
who then does the modeling ... And leaves you to do composition and capture.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Coupymate ElleLaura QueenDeeVa01
anochecer bbphotos bradder chicimages david1500 dorrian Essexjohn FlyingShot GSC4X Hugh humphries joolsy JRFox keltica lazeeboy Matt1988 monochromeset panda49 philippahh picusio redbaron rscott360 stevegosh sultanrahi5566 whitepython