Reminder Secure

Request from model to for me not use photos from TFP photos 5 years after shoot

Moorlane is off-line
14 April 2014 14:50
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

but you HAVE actually used the images...for 5 years.She is clearly hoping that you will agree to stop using the images so just be nice and do as she asks

Neil Anderson is off-line
15 April 2014 03:39
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from SMILESPHOTO
So, the bottom line is that you did a 'TF' shoot but are not expected to use the images. Can't see that catching on.

I appreciate that people's circumstances change and that as decent and caring human beings we want to help fellow models and photographers but I'd certainly expect a pretty good reason why not.

In fact this situation just shows how unbalanced TF shoots really are. Normally shots would only be of any use to the model for a few months or at most a couple of years, but the photographer retains total control and copyright on them for 70 years and may find they augment his portfolio for decades (although this is frankly unlikely).

If I see shots on a model's profile that are 5 years old, my first thought is 'I wonder what she looks like now'.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Oliver Cook is off-line
16 April 2014 13:45
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from stolenfaces
In fact this situation just shows how unbalanced TF shoots really are. Normally shots would only be of any use to the model for a few months or at most a couple of years, but the photographer retains total control and copyright on them for 70 years and may find they augment his portfolio for decades (although this is frankly unlikely). If I see shots on a model's profile that are 5 years old, my first thought is 'I wonder what she looks like now'.

I don't see that holds true. A model has much more chance of TF shots leading to earnings (yes, even pretty poor shots can lead to paid work; I know I've seen some shots on portfolios, that were obviously done TF and weren't technically very good, but I've seen something in those shots that has led me to book a model and pay them). Whereas the vast majority of photographers won't get any paid work at all, following on from TF shoots, ever. My point being that, more often than not, monetarilly speaking, the average model will have more value from images over even just that few months or few years than the photographer will have, even if they theoretically (because lets face it, in all honesty, copyright is now impossible to protect) hold the copyright for seventy years. So I would say that, despite many not realising it, in the real world the model actually gains the most from TF shoots. Obviously both parties gain experience.

Back to the original post though, I think that though it seems easy to say 'aww do the nice thing and remove the images' the actual reality of the world today means that even if a photographer removes the images from anything they can, that if the images were attractive in any way, then they may well have gone viral to some degree, and then the images are impossible to remove anyway - hence the entire argument is kind of pointless.

Neil Anderson is off-line
17 April 2014 04:06
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from artistoli
I don't see that holds true. A model has much more chance of TF shots leading to earnings (yes, even pretty poor shots can lead to paid work; I know I've seen some shots on portfolios, that were obviously done TF and weren't technically very good, but I've seen something in those shots that has led me to book a model and pay them). Whereas the vast majority of photographers won't get any paid work at all, following on from TF shoots, ever. My point being that, more often than not, monetarilly speaking, the average model will have more value from images over even just that few months or few years than the photographer will have, even if they theoretically (because lets face it, in all honesty, copyright is now impossible to protect) hold the copyright for seventy years. So I would say that, despite many not realising it, in the real world the model actually gains the most from TF shoots. Obviously both parties gain experience.

Back to the original post though, I think that though it seems easy to say 'aww do the nice thing and remove the images' the actual reality of the world today means that even if a photographer removes the images from anything they can, that if the images were attractive in any way, then they may well have gone viral to some degree, and then the images are impossible to remove anyway - hence the entire argument is kind of pointless.

In both parts of your post you just ignore the real world. The photos referred to in this post are not attractive so your argument about photos that are attractive is kind of pointless.
Talking of average models, the average tfp model shoot will be with a model who never makes any money from shoots. There are many tfp shots on model profiles today which will lead to people not booking her (particularly ones taken from slightly above which make the model look short and chubby).
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

rootofsilence is off-line
18 April 2014 06:35
rootofsilence
Photographer

Somerset

Quote from Bob
As this one has been on my portfolio for seven years (and is actually nine years old) I wonder if I should be ashamed of it and should take it down?

You certainly shouldn't be ashamed of that one shot in particular, it's no worse than the rest of your bland and dated images.

Profile Pictures is off-line
18 April 2014 07:29
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluelah DanielleWx Kacie NikkiLouise93 RoxyMendez Zadi
63jian dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto johnnytog Keithhendy Ladiesman nickdandalos peteb Rhadamanthus Rupert Spiritofwales stevegosh Stoker thelook zprangz