Storing octa softboxes

HowardJ is off-line
12 April 2014 06:20
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I was wondering how people store their octa soft boxes.

The elinchrom ones can be collapsed/folding and stored in a bag but you still get a bit of rubbing of the metal rods against the silver lining which eventually leads to tears in the lining.

Alternatively you can dismantle them completely but then you can get damage to the lining from the fitting ring slipping out while you're putting the first complete of rods in when you're putting it up again.

Has anyone got any tips?

RGBphoto is onlineSilver Member
12 April 2014 07:08
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I 'store' mine fully assembled, just taken off the head, and hang them up on cords, dangling. I have the luxury of some free space! My experience with all makes of soft boxes, including very expensive Broncolor, is that lots of assembly/dismantling/assembly wears the fabric.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
12 April 2014 07:46
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

In the studio I just use those double clip trowser/skirt holders you get when you buy them. They clip on the face and it can then be hung on the wall fully open face to wall.

Another studio I know uses the long galvanised 'L'shaped straps you can buy from builders merchants bent so the short leg goes through centre hole and the strap does not rub on the fabric. They are intended as restraint straps in roofs and floors to tie them in with the main structure.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

HowardJ is off-line
12 April 2014 08:04
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I'm thinking of the scenario where you need to travel with them to locations for shoots.

Spike is off-line
12 April 2014 08:24
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

I've got a couple of elichrom octas I bought in 1992 keep them folded in ther cases,they seem in pretty good nick.

The soft boxes seem to suffer more with the foil rubbing of, however a good repait is pieces of foil survival blankets like they give out at the end of the London marathon glued with contact adhesive.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

RGBphoto is onlineSilver Member
12 April 2014 08:48
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

If you want to travel with them then as little dismantle as possible, the Elinchrom Rotalux can be folded but still left pretty much assembled, and if you are transporting in a car ok.

HowardJ is off-line
12 April 2014 08:51
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from magpie1
If you want to travel with them then as little dismantle as possible, the Elinchrom Rotalux can be folded but still left pretty much assembled, and if you are transporting in a car ok.

Yep that's what I do but you still get a bit of rubbing against the foil in the centre.

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Franchella Ohlookitsnemo Olivia75 pinklilly QueenDeeVa01
chicimages ChrisD Daveinsurrey freddie James7799 jonlee magpie1 msmith_tog paul101 Pictureimage rscott360 simont