This thread is being watched by 1 person
ICONIC :P is off-line
10 April 2014 15:04
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

what do you do at pre wedding meetings? ive been using the pre wedding meeting to talk to couples about what they want and to take a deposit, but it occured to me recently that mabee i should do a pre wedding wedding meeting instead of sending potential customers to my website etc?

what do you do ?

any thoughts?
pissing purestorm off since 2009

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
11 April 2014 03:09
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

After the initial enquiry received - I arrange to meet the couple taking along sample images from my previous weddings. 

I do not do "hard sell" as most of my commissions come via word-of-mouth.

I have to say very few of my commissions are as a direct reult of my website alone.

It is important, in my view, to meet the couple face-to-face.

That way you build a rapport and they have the opportunity to ask questions (and check you over!) that they may not necessarily think of just by telephone or internet messaging.

Hope this helps.

11 April 2014 03:16
paule
Photographer

Two meetings to seal the deal sounds like one too many to me.. maybe you just need to refine your initial meeting..

My bookings follow this route in most cases..

1: couple enquire availability via my website (if they enquire about price before asking if I'm available they'll probably not book me.. I've found)
2: we meet to discuss their plans and so they can hold / view presentation options.. talk fees..
3: they've booked.. 6-8 weeks prior to their wedding we meet, confirm their schedule, group photos and presentation choices... we also take some photos so they can see how relaxed/fun it should be on their day.. the balance is now due..
4: wedding..
5: my fourth meeting with them... to hand over their album/presentation option...

meetings 2 & 5 can be them visiting me or me visiting them... mostly they visit me for 2 and me to them for 5..

OldMaster is off-line
11 April 2014 04:32
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

If your couple are seeing other togs try and get to see them last. Two purposes, establish they like your pictures (port) and service, discuss what they want, agree to a deal and of course, close it and take a deposit!!

I used a pre printed form (All contact details, required service, any "problems", such as previous partners, etc, agreed cost, etc) ..useful as a selling tool as you fill it in as you go along, get them to sign it, job done!

Call them a few days or a week before to check everything is ok and look forward to seeing them at the agreed time.

Contrary to popular belief wedding photography is a business and not some one who just happens to own a half decent camera!!

Samantha Duell is off-line
15 April 2014 11:12
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
Cambridgeshire
whittlesey

general i do a pre wedding meeting twice
so as you say a pre pre wedding consiltation

1st meeting, i meet the couple usually in a very informal way like a coffee shop etc, show them my portfiolo, tell them whats involved in the packages i do, what i do on the day, answer any questions they have and take details of wedding. talk fees/ take booking fee . it also gives you a feel for the couple, they can meet you and get to know what your about, no point doing their wedding if you dont get their vision or you just dont get them etc

telling someone to see your website i find is very impersonal the couple need to like you aswell as your photo style which is why i meet them 1st face to face wedding photography i find is very personal to the couple they will have these photos for the rest of their lives so them trusting you to do this right doesnt come from viewing a website its from meeting you

about 1 month before wedding, i meet with them again discuss what the bride wants from the photos (as we all know the bride wears the trousers at any wedding), discuss colour themes, write list of family photos they want and any other photo related stuff,
finalise the details ie time, venues etc
take finally payment

also when i know locations i tend to go and have a look myself so i know before hand what will look good in the photos, where i can take more intimate pics of the couple, lighting inside venue etc that way ive got a pre set in my mind of what im gonna do saves fussing bout trying to get it all in

this is just what i do im new to the weedding side of photography but the weddings ive done so far have been great and couples have loved what they got back from me

Paul is off-line
19 April 2014 01:58
ShootonLocation
Photographer
ShootonLocation
West Midlands
UK Professional Photographer

According to employment statistics for England and Wales, at least one third of all wedding guests will now be a professional photographer or similar so why not just have a pre engagement engagement shoot meeting and leave it at that

http://www.derekpyephotography.com/
.. it is what you leave out of the photograph that makes the picture

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
19 April 2014 06:46
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

Quote from OldMaster
If your couple are seeing other togs try and get to see them last. Two purposes, establish they like your pictures (port) and service, discuss what they want, agree to a deal and of course, close it and take a deposit!! ..............

Assuming you can establish whether the couple are seeing competitors, I like it, must remember that tactic

marlham is off-line
21 April 2014 12:43
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

The trouble with being last is that as soon as the couple see someone they like they're just as likely to book them straight away through fear of losing the slot and just cancel everyone else. Of course the chosen photographer will make it very clear that he's taking bookings all the time and it's first come first served. Far better to be in early with a strong pitch aimed at getting them to see you as the person they'll turn to naturally for assurance, guidance and support both leading up to the wedding and on the day itself.

I'd go so far as to say that if they don't book you straight away it's almost certain you won't get the job anyway.

Chrissie Red is off-line
21 April 2014 15:52
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from marlhamphoto
The trouble with being last is that as soon as the couple see someone they like they're just as likely to book them straight away through fear of losing the slot and just cancel everyone else. Of course the chosen photographer will make it very clear that he's taking bookings all the time and it's first come first served. Far better to be in early with a strong pitch aimed at getting them to see you as the person they'll turn to naturally for assurance, guidance and support both leading up to the wedding and on the day itself. I'd go so far as to say that if they don't book you straight away it's almost certain you won't get the job anyway.

+1

I agree - although with my the wedding photographer was one of the first things I booked (and I knew who I wanted straight away).

When it came to other services I generally didn't book a long list of people to see (I hate wasting peoples time). So generally for me I looked at vague prices of things online then went to see whoever it was, I didn't have a big list of people to see. If somebody did the job well and was within budget then I booked them. I went to 5 venues and booked the first one I visited (I always knew thats where I wanted to get married but only went to see the others because I felt like I should have "shopped around".

Paul is off-line
15 June 2014 15:23
ShootonLocation
Photographer
ShootonLocation
West Midlands
UK Professional Photographer

you could offer a discount for Skype only meetings
if they are munters
add a levy
.. it is what you leave out of the photograph that makes the picture

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mandymack skykantara1
ad360photo bbphotos chopper_images colinpierce Dalesdesigns djb1 firsttake oldbloke philippahh rscott360 Scotography SMILESPHOTO Sp_digital zzdigital