Refill inks. PermaJet?

Chris is off-line
09 April 2014 10:15
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

I was looking at the PermaJet refill inks on their site, and would like to know if anyone here uses them.  They are much more costly than the inks I have used in the past by advanced inkjet systems, but was wondering if they are more healthy for the heads on printers, hence the price. Anyone used the PermaJet Inks at all? 

09 April 2014 10:27
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Not used Permajet, but when I did home printing I used Fotospeed inks available from RK Photographic in Potters Bar. Also used Lyson ink but my inkjet printer gave up before I'd used them up and I never went for the home printing route after that. But Fotospeed were excellent if you download their colour profiles.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Chris is off-line
09 April 2014 10:40
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from ATVLONDON
Not used Permajet, but when I did home printing I used Fotospeed inks available from RK Photographic in Potters Bar. Also used Lyson ink but my inkjet printer gave up before I'd used them up and I never went for the home printing route after that. But Fotospeed were excellent if you download their colour profiles.

Thanks. frown

Yes I used inks from city ink express, and like advanced inkjet, the results were nice. I think the results are good with most of the well known ones, and I think I may have used Fotospeed myself in the past, but just wondering if the PermaJet users could verify that the price of their inks are worth the extra cost. I will probably have to try them to see most likely.

Anthonygh is off-line
09 April 2014 10:51
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

What printer do you use?.....or more to the point....pigment or dye inks?

By the way...what sellers charge often bears little relationship to the quality. I know one well known supplier who markets two reputable brands (at very different prices) but has admitted via an email exchange that the inks are exactly the same formulation but from different places.

I am a fan of German OCP inks myself.....with my Canon9000pro I calculated, by refilling my original Canon carts when needed, my ink costs are about 10% of using OEM inks.

Chris is off-line
09 April 2014 11:01
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from anthonyh
What printer do you use?.....or more to the point....pigment or dye inks? By the way...what sellers charge often bears little relationship to the quality. I know one well known supplier who markets two reputable brands (at very different prices) but has admitted via an email exchange that the inks are exactly the same formulation but from different places. I am a fan of German OCP inks myself.....with my Canon9000pro I calculated, by refilling my original Canon carts when needed, my ink costs are about 10% of using OEM inks.

Hello, frown

We had this discussion a while back, talking about my old Epson 2100. But I am planning to buy the Epson 3880, and so looking to the future. As I mentioned, the quality of these inks are good in general, just wondering if PermaJet are worth the extra cost. I use pigment inks. I think even at the PermaJet cost I will save loads. You make an interesting point.

Anthonygh is off-line
09 April 2014 11:48
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I also have the R2880 so the same inkset.

I still use OEM carts but not for long...I am about to try a couple of refillable carts and ink supplied by Octoinkjet which I believe is manufactured in America.

One option I considered was buying 220ml Epson carts and decanting the ink...people do this....but decided to try the Octoinkjet stuff as the ink company website gave me confidence.

As I recall there are refillable carts available for the R3880. As it happens, I have been watching s/h 4880s on eBay...often a lot cheaper than the R3880...lot bigger unfortunately.

Chris is off-line
10 April 2014 12:28
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from anthonyh
I also have the R2880 so the same inkset. I still use OEM carts but not for long...I am about to try a couple of refillable carts and ink supplied by Octoinkjet which I believe is manufactured in America. One option I considered was buying 220ml Epson carts and decanting the ink...people do this....but decided to try the Octoinkjet stuff as the ink company website gave me confidence. As I recall there are refillable carts available for the R3880. As it happens, I have been watching s/h 4880s on eBay...often a lot cheaper than the R3880...lot bigger unfortunately.

Oh, I don't think I'd ever buy a secondhand printer, far too risky. As for refillable carts, I think they're available for every printer these days. The thing that does tempt me with the PermaJet set of carts, is they are those massive ones that stick right out of the printer, with skrew caps to refill, without even taking them out of the printer. I think I will get those most likely. 

sad

Anthonygh is off-line
10 April 2014 14:11
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I don't know much about the R3880 to be honest...but my R2880 was bought s/h in mint condition for well under half the cost of new (still had the first set of carts in it) and it still looks mint and I could probably sell it for much more than I paid. It works perfectly and I would definitely buy another modern printer s/h under the right circumstances.

As for the Permajet carts......even if they are the ones you prefer it might pay you to consider other inks.

And....are you going to need carts that large? That amount of ink represents a lot of printing....which means a lot of paper as well. As it happens, I am in the process of trying a new paper from Permajet, something they are selling as a replacement for Ilford Pearl. They claim it is as good...it isn't.

Chris is off-line
10 April 2014 15:10
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from anthonyh
I don't know much about the R3880 to be honest...but my R2880 was bought s/h in mint condition for well under half the cost of new (still had the first set of carts in it) and it still looks mint and I could probably sell it for much more than I paid. It works perfectly and I would definitely buy another modern printer s/h under the right circumstances.

As for the Permajet carts......even if they are the ones you prefer it might pay you to consider other inks.

And....are you going to need carts that large? That amount of ink represents a lot of printing....which means a lot of paper as well. As it happens, I am in the process of trying a new paper from Permajet, something they are selling as a replacement for Ilford Pearl. They claim it is as good...it isn't.

Not sure if we are talking about the same printer, when you mention R3880. The one I am talking about is the Stylus Pro 3880. The advantage of having these big carts is that you can refill without removing the carts. But it's interesting what you say about the paper, not being as good. That's the thing, even the though I feel I should be able to trust a well known company like that, that may be the case with their ink, as well as the paper you mention. But yes, I will consider other inks to fill their carts. Back to the subject of the printer it's self, so many times I have bought secondhand stuff, and been unlucky. Things that can't go wrong, I do buy secondhand, but I personally won't risk a secondhand printer. I know my luck.

Anthonygh is off-line
10 April 2014 16:14
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Google both names and you will come up with the same printer...I think I use the short version. I think my R2880 has a longer name as well...

The Permajet paper isn't bad but print the same image on the Ilford paper and hold them side by side and the Ilford is clearly better in my eyes. Permajet claim their paper works with the same profile as Ilford...it doesn't. Although to be fair....if you use their paper they will make a profile for you for free. Must get round to making use of that offer sometime soon!!

To be doubly fair...once I have done this the prints using Permajet paper might improve.

Just one point about not removing carts from a printer.....I did read that carts using pigment ink had to be agitated on a regular basis to stop the pigment settling. Might be worth researching this. When I used a CIS with my R1800 and before that the Photo stylus 2100 (both pigment printers) I gave the ink bottles a bit of a swirl every week or so because of this. I remember reading that people who complained about CIS units clogging printer heads might not be doing this and so the nozzles were eventually clogged as the ink became thicker and thicker. But I did read all this years ago and have forgotten the finer details....

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
woody