Softboxes for Elinchrom ranger Q

Dave Beasley is off-line
08 April 2014 13:30
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Well I've now got the Quadra lights, after a week it has stopped raining so shooting can begin - but I have one more question….

The honeycomb grid attachment comes in 20 and 30 degree versions, yet the 20 degree is not far off twice the price of the 30 degree. I understand the physical difference between them but would appreciate views on which one is the most useful / best one to buy (initially at least).

Thanks

Dave

HowardJ is off-line
08 April 2014 13:45
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from eosfan
Well I've now got the Quadra lights, after a week it has stopped raining so shooting can begin - but I have one more question….

The honeycomb grid attachment comes in 20 and 30 degree versions, yet the 20 degree is not far off twice the price of the 30 degree. I understand the physical difference between them but would appreciate views on which one is the most useful / best one to buy (initially at least).

Thanks

Dave

Have you got the Elinchrom wide reflector for holding the grids?

Dave Beasley is off-line
08 April 2014 14:08
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi Howard, not yet but will probably pick that up this week

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2014 14:10
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

one of the reasons for the price differential is that there is quite a lot more metal and folding involved making the finer, 20 degree honeycomb. if you are going to be using it as a fill or conversely main/highlight outdoors, I think the more gradual spread and cut off of the 30 would be the best to start with.

PeterB is off-lineGold Member
08 April 2014 14:26
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Surrey
Hampton Court

I assume you (like me) have the offical Elinchrom solution, a native 18cm reflector, Eli supply 12, 20 & 30, the later being the cheapest.

However 18cm = 7" which is quite common size... Calumet do 20, 30 & 40, I have 20s & 40s, which work fine, my 30s being Eli having arrived in a deal with the reflectors.

The grids in the Calumet ones seem a little more robust than the Eli, however if you want a 12 there seems little choice than Eli, ouch! ... try a Calumet 20 and some cinefoil, not quite the same but depending on what you want may do the trick at a saving of over £40.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2014 14:45
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I'm sure I have a10 degree Calumet, lots of grid! Calumet do a deep reflector specially made for grids, gives a bit more breathing space, but the grid will still get quite hot if the modelling lamp is at a high level.

HowardJ is off-line
08 April 2014 15:00
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from eosfan
Hi Howard, not yet but will probably pick that up this week

I just use the one for my standard studio heads.

I'd go with the calumet grids as someone else has said. they're quite expensive for what they are and I don't use mine very often.

Dave Beasley is off-line
09 April 2014 08:43
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Thanks once again all who have replied - looks like the 30degree is the one.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs ElleLaura kacie QueenDeeVa01 RoxyMendez skykantara1
ad360photo asnphotography Bane711 BOBREEVES Bristoltalent dave2008 davejohn fineprint hylander IanHighlander Ianparker1 Jpdo jyp Kjoservices liteangle moritz78 oscar pmeswani Swyftie thelook Thestarglider tms tonyjolley