Strobe Lighting Help

JSP is onlinePlatinum Member
10 March 2014 06:44
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I was practising with my strobe lighting kit using a soft box and an umbrella over the weekend, when I noticed that the lighting head with the umbrella was not always flashing when it was supposed to. In fact it failed to go off quite a number of times. Does anyone know what the problem may be? Why the strobe lighting head with the Sox box works perfectly fine but the 2nd one containing my umbrella more often than not fails to go off?

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 March 2014 06:46
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

How were you triggering them? (cable, radio transmitter, optical slave etc.)

If using the optical slave or IR slave then are you sure the umbrella isn't blocking the view of the slave from the transmitter on the camera?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

HowardJ is off-line
10 March 2014 07:02
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Maybe it hadn't had time to recycle itself?

Slow down your shooting a bit to give it time. It could also be the battery on your trigger is on the way out.

10 March 2014 07:30
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
How were you triggering them? (cable, radio transmitter, optical slave etc.) If using the optical slave or IR slave then are you sure the umbrella isn't blocking the view of the slave from the transmitter on the camera?

I use a radio transmitter. All the channels correspond. From what I can remember on Saturday there was nothing in the way that would have obstructed the signal. 

I am using a shoots through umbrella and standing well back when I take my images.

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

10 March 2014 07:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

So for clarity, BOTH flash heads had wireless triggers attached to them?

Just a thought... if you've got any mobile or wireless devices in the room (mobile phones, cordless phones, wifi devices etc.), move them out of the way as these can interfere with triggers.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

10 March 2014 07:38
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
So for clarity, BOTH flash heads had wireless triggers attached to them? Just a thought... if you've got any mobile or wireless devices in the room (mobile phones, cordless phones, wifi devices etc.), move them out of the way as these can interfere with triggers.

I think this is the part where I feel quite silly and start going red. I have my trigger on my camera and a receiver on one of the flash heads. I suppose this is where you tell me I need a receiver on the 2nd flash head?

10 March 2014 07:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

There you go... the second flash (without the trigger) hasn't got good line of sight as it's 'trapped' inside the umbrella.

10 March 2014 08:04
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
There you go... the second flash (without the trigger) hasn't got good line of sight as it's 'trapped' inside the umbrella.

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't suppose I've helped myself by having the receiver on my soft box light head at a 45° angle to the umbrella light head, which was also at a 45° angle.

Strobe lighting is new to me. In the past I've always used continuous lighting.

Paul Jones is off-line
10 March 2014 14:03
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Ladiesman
I have my trigger on my camera and a receiver on one of the flash heads. I suppose this is where you tell me I need a receiver on the 2nd flash head?

Many studio flash units (strobes) have a built-in slave cell (which might need to be turned on by flicking a switch).  What this means is that it accepts a signal from the unit with the receiver, so that they both fire at the same time.  You don't necessarily need to have a receiver plugged into both units if one will slave off the other.

You could perhaps check to see if your lights have slave built-in / turned on.

As RedChecker says it might also be that the 'line of sight' between the units is being obstructed in some way.  I have seen this in the past with infra-red triggers.  I suppose you could test it by taking the umbrella down and seeing if that is causing it.

What make / model are your strobes?

Best regards
Paul

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

10 March 2014 14:38
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

PIXAPRO® LUMI 400 flash.

Yes the strobe's do have a built-in slave mode. At the moment they are both switched on, even the one with the receiver....

When it comes to strobe lighting I am very naive then do not fully understand what the slave mode actually does. Although after reading what you have written, I can deduce that it allows each unit to receive the signal from the trigger?

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Annaxxwachowicz MissCaraJane Samanthajane4 toniallcorn
antoinewynn Belemboo Cheshunt83 edwards ElegantCaptures eosfan Essexjohn hylander Ianparker1 Imernie Kiboko Ladiesman Matt1988 peterashuk read redbaron Rob77 ron rscott360 shinywear siclews TinDolls tms Willjamieson