Stock Photography just got harder...

Oliver Cook is off-line
11 March 2014 12:54
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from RedChecker
I'm amazed people actually make money from it anyway, what with how utterly saturated the market is. You'll get the odd 'celebrity' stock photographer but I find it hard to think the average jobbing photographer will get little more than teenage pocket-money from it as it's something every man and his dog can do.

Have to say he has a point. Consider just how many new images are being added each day. Also this move to free if embedded is not just a Getty thing. If I remember correctly it was some stock site based in Singapore or somewhere like that that started this trend a few years back. 

Oliver Cook is off-line
11 March 2014 12:59
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

I think RedChecker is more just pointing out the physics of the market. The saturation, competition and trend towards 'free' is not going to reverse. This means that the monetary worth of most stock photography (even if it is fantastic) will continue to fall. I don't think he is seriously knocking the skill of photographers who produce stock; its like every field, there are good and bad. But the undeniable trend is for tumbling margins and prices (despite the myriad of articles abounding on the web - those articles are often produced for reasons that have nothing to do with photography and everything to do with attracting traffic that leans towards wanting to believe a certain lifestyle is possible).

Neil Anderson is off-line
11 March 2014 13:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

It's interesting that no-one seems to have read the article, particularly the Op whose headline seems rather dismissive of what appears a sensible approach to market conitions
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Peter Hague is off-line
11 March 2014 13:54
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from artistoli
This means that the monetary worth of most stock photography (even if it is fantastic) will continue to fall.

I started selling stock images (mainly for chatline ads, that sort of thing) and I could easily get £10 per image on a regular basis. I stopped several years ago when the price I was currently being offered was 0.6 cents per image. 
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Mike Blissett is off-line
18 March 2014 09:50
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

Quote from MLP
' ... naff all to do with photography and your technical skills ...'

You are still missing the point! It has to do with photographic ability, but an ability to satisfy your clients requirements and needs; not your own!
The very basis of supply and demand and business  as we kinow it - give the cutomer what he wants - not what you want to photograph!  Trust me it can be frustrating!! 

+1

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Carliegomez24 generixllc isobel111 kacie Olivia75 prettypolly Princesspixie1
antoinewynn Antz appareil bbphotos Blancho david1500 hodgen Kimily Kjoservices LeeBinns lify Njsphotography Pendragon140994 Phiesta1 Pictureimage picusio siclews Stoker viewphotographic
kerandastudio2