Reminder Secure

iMac freezes 2

diipii is off-line
05 March 2014 04:25
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Further to my previous thread I have just noticed that the overheating problem gets a lot worse when Safari extensions are switched on. I have just put FastestTube 2.2.1.4 in there for downloading video from Youtube and it appears that this zooms up the temperature even when it is not being used. Puzzles me so can anyone explain please ?
It only happens all the time.

ICONIC :P is off-line
09 March 2014 08:47
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

my imc is allways like a radiator :/
pissing purestorm off since 2009

HowardJ is off-line
09 March 2014 10:17
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Have you tried posting on the Apple support forums or asking a genius (aka a 15 yr old) at their genius bar in an Apple store?

Rod Macdonald is off-line
09 March 2014 12:49
rod_m99
Photographer
rod_m99
Cambridgeshire
Cambridge

Google imac overheats and freezes… https://discussions.apple.com/message/17608787#17608787

diipii is off-line
09 March 2014 15:19
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

I have tried the Apple support forum which was no help and did see the thread referred to and have tried all the solutions suggested. The iMac appears to run only slightly warm to the touch when the hand is passed over the long slot along the back and smcFancontrol tells me the problem is worse when the temperature gets to 29C. It rarely goes above 33C. The problem is getting worse and I have stopped watching HD completely and never full screen. The iMac works OK in all other circumstances and only overheats when watching Youtube videos so I suspect graphics card problems. I have ditched Fastesttube and now use Savefrom.net helper 2.33 which seems better.

Thanks for your replies.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
09 March 2014 16:01
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

I know sod all about Macs, But could it have fluff/dust/debris in the cooling slots? maybe the gentle application of a vac to the slots might work, Hose extension of course not with the actual hoover! or very very carefully with an aerosol air blower then the vac. NOTE, if you bugger it up do not blame me only a suggestion!

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
09 March 2014 16:04
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

I am assuming Macs have cooling fans and slots like "normal PCs"

diipii is off-line
09 March 2014 17:49
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Thanks for the suggestions. I have vacuumed with a narrow nozzle at all available apertures and gently shaken the iMac to dislodge any blocking debris, I tried at the long slot along the top rear, the hard drive slot on the right side and the bottom slots next to the RAM.

iMacs do indeed have fans and I have installed a free app called smcFancontrol which raises the base level of fan speed. I have it currently set to 2500rpm which is a good balance between cooling and noise and much higher than the Apple setting.

I keep everything except apps on external drives and I think I am heading towards reinstalling Snow Leopard.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Hann
gordon