Reminder Secure

Customs & Excise on EBay purchases

AndiCallen is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2014 08:41
AndiCallen
Photographer
AndiCallen
Greater Manchester

Looking to buy a new lens off eBay from overseas seller.
Anyone done this and got stung for duty?
Thanks

Anthonygh is off-line
24 February 2014 13:11
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Look for those sellers that guarantee they will cover any import duties...there are a few.

I got stung on a s/h lens...and had to pay a 'collection' fee to Royal Mail as well.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
24 February 2014 13:11
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

I'd look at DigitaLRev as a better option as no import taxes are added, with Ebay expect the full amount of Tax plus a fee from the courier, a few sellers, mainly USA will included all the fees up front but this with postage can become expensive. My new Sigma lens from Hong Kong was faulty, I had to send it off to Sigma UK and claim the money back from the seller (as agreed by them) there was a longer delay than I'd have liked but I got the £130 plus back in the end, These are the risks you take. I'm not finding Amazon listed equipment is massively different in price from foreign alternatives especially when you factor in Tax!

What's your potential saving?

Dominic

AndiCallen is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2014 16:14
AndiCallen
Photographer
AndiCallen
Greater Manchester

Dominic I'm after a Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 Nikon mount. £585 from Hong Kong. Simply Electronics have it for £549 but I've never heard of them and they seem to be overseas too.
Best UK stock price I've found is £650 on eBay. Digital Rev have it for £689, do you recommend them? It's £809 with Wex!

Len Maynard is off-line
24 February 2014 16:28
Skid2
Photographer
Skid2
Cheshire
Stockport

Quote from AndiCallen
Dominic I'm after a Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 Nikon mount. £585 from Hong Kong. Simply Electronics have it for £549 but I've never heard of them and they seem to be overseas too.
Best UK stock price I've found is £650 on eBay. Digital Rev have it for £689, do you recommend them? It's £809 with Wex!

We have a Simply Electronics store in Hazel Grove and another just off Levenshulme so it may be they are a nw store. A couple of lads at work used their online store but said they were very very slow in the delivery
"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
24 February 2014 16:39
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

There's this forum note on Amazon about simply electronics worth a read,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reviews-of-Simply-Electronics/forum/Fx2L8YAWZTSCQUK/Tx2JDL36I8HDYBS/31?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00065GZL2

I would recommend always checking Digital Rev to start with but I find the gap now not as big so the warranty issues mean I'm less likely to go with them if the margins are say £50-60. I don't like the look of that Simply electronics website, there are a few that come up that all look very similar, your security might be to pay via credit card,

this site below too looks dodgy, they might be able to sell you the item, its the support you get when things don't arrive, are late, damaged, used, faulty, not as described

http://www.tiptopelectronics.co.uk/tamron-sp-24-70mm-f-2-8-di-vc-usd-lens-for-nikon.html?gclid=COmljYrd5bwCFSbnwgod0WcA2A

Have you looked at the sigma version?

Gary Newton is off-line
24 February 2014 17:00
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I bought 3 separate items from hdew cameras and all
delivered very quickly, grey imports I know but an English based company and prices include tax and duties

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2014 17:17
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

if buying from abroad it is probably best to assume it will incur VAT & import taxes (& handling & admin fees to the carrier such as Royal Mail / DHL ). When I imported laser discs (about 20 years ago) I seem to remember there was website that listed the various import duties which vary on the product. IIIRC t was 5.1 for cds & laserdics but photographic equipment will be different)

If you assume you will need to pay then at least you know if it really is worth it

IIRC Customs & Excise have the right to inspect every import & judge its true value irrespective of that marked on it. I am not sure if they can impose penalties or seize if they believe it is under declared.

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
24 February 2014 18:25
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Just look for Simply Electronics screwed me on facebbok Would not go near them.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

OldMaster is off-line
25 February 2014 14:54
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Did well with Value basket (from Hong Kong I think)...a useful saving on most photo items. Paid no extra VAT or customs duty, etc...

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Ebbrell1991 indiaxxx kacie Winterlilly
bbphotos cliffc dazglam ellessephotography fineartbysimon Jyp Kjoservices Ladiesman nickdandalos p4pFetography parafotos Thunder_Photos Willjamieson