Nik Collection

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
23 February 2014 16:58
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi all
Do any of you use the Nik collection software for editing your images and what do you find it most useful for please?

Thank you
Brian

John McNairn is off-line
24 February 2014 01:26
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
Tayside
Dundee

Silver Efex....you get the whole collection for under 90 quid, the rest is ok too.
Erica Von Stein - jealousy does manky things to people.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 February 2014 02:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I bought it, never used it.

Admittedly I've not played much with it but on my initial testing I found a lot of the effects are quite gimmicky and if you have a basic understanding of adjustments, layers & actions in Photoshop you can do most of them yourself (and do them better with finer control & subtlety).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
24 February 2014 05:06
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Thanks for the information guys that a great help!

OldMaster is off-line
25 February 2014 04:50
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Use it quite a lot. It has some good effects on it but I go against the general opinion and don't find Silver Efex that useful or better than anything else. If anything I prefer Imagenomics Real Grain and Perfect B&W.

A preferred suite for me is Perfect Photosuite 7, this includes Perfect mask, Perfect Portrait, Perfect Effects, Perfect Focus, Perfect B&W (excellent) and a resize programme. Of course many of the actions can be done in layers/masks in PS but Perfect Effects has some striking styles and great borders and Perfect Portrait handles skin/blemish enhancements really well.....(just waiting for the backlash on this!!)

My mistake was not buying a 64 bit machine as these are memory heavy particularly when used as a PS plug in!

SimonB is off-lineGold Member
25 February 2014 14:29
DaseinPhoto
Photographer
DaseinPhoto
Essex
Epping

I use Nik and love it, though mostly for my wildlife shoots. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily say it is better than other products I think it wins out in cost/benefit ratio (every time I get a cut price offer on Perfect Photosuite I hover over the buy button but don't quite ever click)

Highlights: Silver Effects Pro is excellent on the rare occasion I do BW. It has helped me out no end this winter with the drab flat days with tonal and contrast adjustments to give that little extra lift. I find things like soft focus and glamour glow adds to portraits/model shots as long as you rain them in a bit. I wouldn't now be without the noise reduction and output sharpener.

Like all effects suites I think you might end up using 4 or 5 regularly and some of the wackier ones occasionally.

As already stated I wouldn't get into a fight over Nik verses PP, either are worth a punt.
I got the secret to happiness from the back of a bleach bottle - "Stand upright in a cool place"

Sharpy is off-line
26 February 2014 13:03
CHRISblunt
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
CHRISblunt
Essex
Basildon

I use Colour Efex4 . Has some excellent pre sets. Have Silver Efex, but prefer some of the Topaz Suite.

Chris

Will is off-line
26 February 2014 16:13
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Detail enhancer and a few others in ColourEfex.
Silver Efex and Viveza if I'm processing in Adobe software rather than Nikon's CNX2.
Where there's a Will, there's a way.

Mike Blissett is off-line
04 March 2014 03:18
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

Silver Efex has an excellent menu. It's quick and easy to use and equal to any thing Photoshop has to offer.
for the small investment it's always useful to have.
As for the others in the suite Viveza is a real star if used well..

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluelah DanielleWx Kacie NikkiLouise93 RoxyMendez Zadi
63jian charliethornton dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 Dphphotography James7799 jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto johnnytog Keithhendy keltica Ladiesman liteangle peteb Rhadamanthus Rupert Spiritofwales stevegosh Stoker thelook zprangz