Dynamic Range

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 February 2014 11:24
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

On the other hand, for a product photo (for example) you may actually want to increase the contrast of a relatively flat scene (low DR) to fill the camera's dynamic range so that when working in post you can achieve greater control when manipulating curves.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Gerry is off-line
21 February 2014 11:29
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Those adjustments take a few seconds, but again, you can increase the contrast of a product shot by the angle and direction of lighting used and reducing the diffusion. I saw a interesting tutorial on someone who shoots old manuscripts and the style of lighting was simple but clever in how a page can be lit evenly but also additional light at a near perpendicular angle can create a three dimensional feel to the page to make it look like a real life page rather than a scanned one
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

OldMaster is off-line
21 February 2014 12:45
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I have never understood how dxo get their dr figures as they seem to bear no resemblance to reality? The Fuji S5 could record 13 f stops of dr...I know cos I still have one. Under test the new crop of ff Nikon dslr are managing 9/10 with the 36mp d800 squeezing around another stop or so. RAW helps of course. But when highlights are gone, they have gone....acr might falsify a stop or so. Its down to the scene contrast and the only way you can "flatten" that to fit on the sensor is to expose for the highlights and lift the shadows if you have to. Nikon cheat with active lighting by tweaking the curve in the shadows but the total dr is the same. Its why wedding guys shooting white dress/black suit would/should shoot with fill in....and why the S5 was so popular in its day.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pmagic tms