Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
14 February 2014 23:00
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Hi,
Ive been given some cctv material via a usb stick concerning theft from their premises.I have never edited or used video material and have no idea how to start.Need advice please.Looking to crop,edit and print some images as the owner of images can display them on their property but at the roadside as they havent had any joy off the police.I presume they can display images like this?.
Any help would be happily appreciated.
Phil

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
15 February 2014 02:23
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

If good quality images why not just pause video and take a picture of computer screen with DSLR and use to print as required? you would need to use a shutter speed of around 15/30th second to allow for the scanning of the screen.

Tony Wright is off-lineSilver Member
15 February 2014 05:44
photogenia
Photographer

Lincolnshire
Spalding

The files on the stick should play directly on a computer media player, or they may have an inbuilt player. Once you can play the file(s) on your machine you can freeze and capture a screenshot which goes straight into photoshop. Probably...

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 February 2014 06:17
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I may be wrong but taking a capture from CCTV and putting it on public display singling out a person may be a human rights breach. I seem to remember a news article years ago where a shop keeper did this and the police arrested him following a complaint from the man in the photo, the police statement was that the shopkeeper had breached his human rights. It may be worth researching this aspect.

Aside from that I'd also be weary about 'editing' as this has the potential to distort the image is a way that will change it as raw evidence (eg. a processing technique could massively alter face detail).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

orca is off-line
15 February 2014 06:37
Orca_photography
Photographer
Orca_photography
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

I agree with Red Checker on this. Plus if the offender is arrested at a later date using the altered evidence you created you will get a rough ride at court on cross examination plus there is every chance it will be ruled as inadmissible and if the job relies on this evidence it will be dismissed. Probably by CPS on advice stage before court.
Russ orca.photography

Bob is onlinePlatinum Member
15 February 2014 07:02
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from xtiggerx
I presume they can display images like this?.

Never presume anything about legal matters and I suggest you tread very warily if meddling in an area like this where you have no relevant training or qualification. If this backfires you could end up in more trouble than the alleged culprit. It is probably best to get the property owner to seek advice from their solicitor about this before you get too involved.
Bob

David Heels is off-line
15 February 2014 09:40
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Phil,

As Photogenia said, play the footage with any media player. Pause at the right moment, then capture a frame. If you use something like PowerDVD, it has a capture button, as do some keyboards. If not, just play the footage in windows media player (or whatever you have) and use Quick Screen Capture, which can be download free, from here...

http://www.etrusoft.com/download.htm

Then grab the frame you want. You might find that version of Quick Screen Capture is a trial version. If so you may only get 20 or so, goes at it.

Save as a JPG, then open the image in Photoshop to adjust contrast, crop, etc. if you need to.

It's all pretty straightforward. But please feel free to mail me if you get stuck.
Dave

CSD Images is off-line
15 February 2014 10:40
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Use VLC and it's screen capture facility. Totally free and it covers pretty much all video formats.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

KHV is online
15 February 2014 12:20
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

If you have Photoshop from V 5.5 I believe but certainly from v6 to CC you can import video footage directly, and play the footage to whatever frame you want and export as a jpg image.

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
17 February 2014 15:30
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Thanks for everyone for their comments even the legal ones,.thanks RedChecker.On the legal side.The owner of the property & owner of cctv footage reported incident to police,they checked DVLA for owner of van but was a works van and they(the police) didnt have enough evidence to find the driver,who incidentaly nearly ran over the premises owner when challenged...All i want to do is display the images so if someone feels aggrieved by having their images displayed can come and see me and pay for the stolen items..why does the system & human rights organisation back the perpetrator and not the victim..another forum i think...
On the footage,was taken on owner hard drive then saved onto laptop to which I saved on usb and loaded onto my laptop,i only have php7 & cs3and zilch experience with video work...but will try suggestions...Picture quality is very poor which is why police couldnt indentify the driver.Sorry for delay in replying....
Phil

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Annaxxwachowicz Carliegomez24 Luciouslizhu3 Stephieb27 SuzyMonty
ad360photo Belemboo Blancho bob cgwebster david10203 david1500 doughnut ElegantCaptures gerry99111 Impressionstog Irish_Rover JRFox keltica Matt1988 modelboutique moritz78 peteb redbaron Rhadamanthus rscott360 southernsnapper stevegosh Swyftie two_stops
harbourstudio