Projector advice

Pict is off-line
06 February 2014 11:27
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

Thinking of installing a projector in the studio to allow clients to view their images taken following a session.
Can anyone advise or possibly recommend equipment as well as any experience running slideshows with sound from lightroom etc.
If it helps the distance to screen would be around 10ft

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 February 2014 11:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You'd probably be far better with a large flat panel telly stuck to the wall (brand name 50" ones are now under £500). Colour/brightness/contrast will be far superior and bulbs for projectors cost a fortune (several £hundred each and don't last long).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
06 February 2014 12:54
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

A projector is definitely the way to go no question. WE use one week in week out and it makes a huge difference to the sales presentation as you can show the images at the size they wish to purchase. A television is very much second best unless you can afford a huge monster as the limiting factor is vertical height.

I use another program other than Lightroom for doing the viewing but it is far from cheap. I also use a different option for doing the slideshow. Ihave had excellent service from http://projectorpoint.co.uk/ You can get a damned good one for £3-450

If you want to discuss things in details send us a PM and I will be happy to help
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Pict is off-line
06 February 2014 13:43
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

I knew this would happen. Tv or Projector????
Thanks for the view points anyway

Paul Riddell is off-line
07 February 2014 05:13
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Having used both projectors and regular TVs for displaying images all I can add is that they really suck at accurately displaying images. Projectors especially.

Some newer higher end flat screen TVs do have cumbersome colour calibration controls that can be used if neccesary.

Or of course the much better, if more expensive option is to use proper monitors. Higher resolution, fully calibratible, less problems with reflections etc. Combine 4 or more if you need a larger device.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Aegean is off-line
07 February 2014 07:13
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

You could always use the DataColor Spyder system to calibrate your TV flatscreen.
http://spyder.datacolor.com/tv-calibration/

I use the monitor version to calibrate my desktop, laptop and iPad screens and it really makes a difference regarding the color rendering.

Calibrating the TV as well as your computer monitors should give you the most accurate colour rendering.

I would suggest a 40" television on the wall. Samsung in my opinion give the best image.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
07 February 2014 12:49
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from riddell
Having used both projectors and regular TVs for displaying images all I can add is that they really suck at accurately displaying images. Projectors especially. Some newer higher end flat screen TVs do have cumbersome colour calibration controls that can be used if neccesary. Or of course the much better, if more expensive option is to use proper monitors. Higher resolution, fully calibratible, less problems with reflections etc. Combine 4 or more if you need a larger device.

You miss the entire point of using a projector. It is shock and awe. You are there to make sales not conduct a fine art appreciation society. Yes they usually need a little tweaking to get things around right but the power of projection is being able to hit them with a 40" Image to scale and say "how does that feel for size" with you best poker face on. If you are going to show it on a poxy little monitor, however well callibrated you will strangle sales.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Aegean is off-line
07 February 2014 16:32
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

Calculate the image size for a given projector at a distance of 10ft (304cm) here

http://www.projectorshop24.co.uk/projection-distance-calculator.html

Myself, I would still go for quality rather than quantity and select a large TV because at 10ft either the clients will tend to get in the beam and cannot examine an image closely or, if using a ceiling mounted projector, the distortion that will have to be corrected will be hard to eliminate.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 February 2014 01:23
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from redbaron
You miss the entire point of using a projector. It is shock and awe. You are there to make sales not conduct a fine art appreciation society. Yes they usually need a little tweaking to get things around right but the power of projection is being able to hit them with a 40" Image to scale and say "how does that feel for size" with you best poker face on. If you are going to show it on a poxy little monitor, however well callibrated you will strangle sales.

So if 40" is what you'd expect, why not go for the TV option?

Assuming we're looking at TVs/projectors around £500, they'll be better colour/contrast and brightness and as I said earlier, known-brand 50" ones can be bought for this price.  You also don't have to worry about both the running cost of bulbs and you don't have to have the room pitch black to view them.  You'll also get a perfect, non-skewed image from a screen.

Unless you're projecting onto a massive wall (unlikely given 10' clearance) or need the portability, I fail to see any benefit in using a projector over a flat panel screen considering you'd get a similar size image.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CJ2015B DareMeDD evajohnson MissCaraJane QueenDeeVa01 RoxyMendez Sammy_Louise
BOBREEVES carshaltonkev chandos chicimages DabImagery Daveinsurrey Essexjohn gerry99111 goZzee hylander ianbutty JRFox Kjoservices mikehemmings modelboutique myp55 Opalapertures orca_photography PhilWinterbourne PHP_Photography redbaron robhillphoto snappychap sniffer stevegosh Stevew1 TinDolls