Reminder Secure

Elinchrom Quadra Ranger - does anyone use this setup for both studio and outdoor shoots

Dave Beasley is off-line
26 January 2014 06:33
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi all,

I'm considering buying the above outfit and wondered if it is suitable for both studio and outdoor use. It would also be a nice portable outfit to take to clients homes.

I've read a few reviews, looked at web sites etc and am still a little unclear on the power output as I gather one head can be driven at 66% power and the other head at 33% power, when both outlets are in use. What does this mean in practice?

I know I need to pay a visit to The Flash Centre or wait for the Birmingham show in March, but any advice which can be given from experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
26 January 2014 06:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It means exactly what it says.

If using 1 port (port A) you'll get the full 400W/s of power through a head. If using both, you'll only get upto 268W/s (66%) on port A and 132W/s (33%) on port B.  It will also only give up to 132 W/s if B is used on its own (according to the writing on it).

It does not appear to be switchable, more expensive/advanced packs can have slight variations on this, my Profoto pack for example can have 50/50 or 66/33 (or 50/25, can't remember for sure) when using two heads although I've never felt the need to use two with the thing (one good/large softbox works 99% of the time). Note that adding cable extenders can also affect the ratios.

If you want full control of ratios with battery packs you'll be looking towards something like Broncolor Verso, Borncolor Move or Profoto B4 which will set you back between £5000-10,000. Alternatively there's monoblocks to consider (Profoto now do ones with batteries built-in) or there's power packs like the Innovatronix to use with the likes of Elinchrom or Bowens ones.

In practice, metering with these packs (like the Ranger or my Profoto B2) can be a nightmare as disabling/unplugging one head affects the output to take a measurement makes it difficult to get flash ratios, especially indoors.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

raw and the cooked is off-line
26 January 2014 07:02
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

I use this product, In answer your first question yes! In regards to the second, practically it gives you a two to one main light to fill ratio, if you want to use it that way, or I have used second light as a background light or rim light. Essentially rc is correct. Though I get excellent results with one pack with one or two heads, a second pack would be much better. Still much cheaper than bronco lour! If you have any questions about the system, message me!

HowardJ is off-line
26 January 2014 07:23
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I use mine for outdoor shoots just using a single head for fill in shaded conditions. I've used the two head setup for hotel room shoots and it's worked well. it doesn't recycle as quickly as studio heads so it does slow you down a little.

the lithium ion batteries are meant to hold more flashes and weigh less. the lead acid ones are a bit heavy or maybe I'm just old.

p.s. it's worth getting the adapter so you fit elinchrom softboxes to the heads.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
26 January 2014 07:47
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

I have a first generation pack with two 'A' series heads. I think the 'A' heads are better to go for - shorter flash duration for not much more, with no other downsides.

I think they're powerful enough for the studio... but then again I like to shoot at fairly wide apertures. If you're doing lots of studio work, you might find the modelling lamps in these are too weak.

The fixed lighting ratio is a pain. Once you have a modifier like a softbox on the main light, it'll bring it down to the same brightness as the secondary light. I always carry gels, so I can then dial back that second light to a more realistic fill level.

Plus points - extremely portable, mine have been very reliable, even the older lead acid version carries enough charge for hundreds of shots. The remote control of power is a joy - and it's easy to sort your lighting levels from the camera. Flash sync speed is reasonable - I usually select 1/160 on my 5DII since I found 1/200 could cause partial-lighting (I think the newer version has a faster transmitter).

Bad points - the fixed ratio is a pain, the max light is limited, the modelling light is fairly weak and will drain the battery. You will need to buy an extra extension lead (they can be joined together for extra reach), you'll need the adapter to allow full size elinchrom accessories, and you'd be wise to buy a spare transmitter/receiver.

For me, these have been one of the best photo purchases I've made. I'm able to carry a complete setup in a backpack and extra bag - so it's made travelling by train/tube to shoots completely viable. I am lusting after the new ProPhoto B4 Air units though... although expensive these address a number of the negative points the Elinchroms have.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
26 January 2014 08:01
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I use Ranger in both situations. I would suggest you consider 2 packs and 3 heads, for better flexibility, plus the adaptors that allow standard Elinchrom reflector fitting. The lead acid battery can, provided its about 70% charged be used with the battery charger connected, essentially becoming a mains unit.

26 January 2014 08:59
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

With two packs and three heads, the price isn't that different from a 2 head Profoto B4 setup - and the latter is more powerful and flexible.

One grumble that I do have about Elinchrom and this flash series is that if you want to move to the newer batteries you have to upgrade:
The controller
The connection leads
The heads

So - poor engineering on Elinchrom's part since they were unable to retain compatibility. Also a warning for those purchasing older units - there is an upgrade cost if you want to switch to the newer litihium batteries.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
26 January 2014 09:59
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

One doesn't have to buy all new units and 3 heads are more versatile than 2.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
26 January 2014 10:19
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Andy_B
One grumble that I do have about Elinchrom and this flash series is that if you want to move to the newer batteries you have to upgrade:
The controller
The connection leads
The heads

So - poor engineering on Elinchrom's part since they were unable to retain compatibility. Also a warning for those purchasing older units - there is an upgrade cost if you want to switch to the newer litihium batteries.

While they didn't think forward, you reap the benefits of a much cheaper system.

Profoto's batteries for their 7B, B2 and B3 can either be lead acid or lithium ferrite (the latter being higher capacity and half the weight), the drawback being that the Profoto batteries are ~£400/700 respectively iirc as they include the charger circuitry into the battery casing whereas the Elinchrom batteries are only £100 each.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

26 January 2014 10:45
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

^^^ While a change to the control unit/battery charger is fair game when a new battery technology comes along, the necessity to have interconnection leads/heads modified is unexpected and seems poorly thought out. Makes 'magpie1's suggestion to mix and match new and old units more difficult to follow.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
DareMeDD harryking kategrimsby RoxyMendez ryansd
andrewf antoinewynn chicimages D_H_P dannyrich david1500 djb1 dorrian GGDP_Photography gperl ignite Ladiesman mlp parafotos penfold10 photostevo psn Rhadamanthus skymouse swalsh58 Thunder_Photos
harbourstudio