19 January 2014 06:14
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Interesting look at the Kodachrome and how it was processed until 2010:

http://vimeo.com/22543258

Probably bring a nostalgic tear to some of the older photographers who worked with it.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
19 January 2014 06:41
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I certainly 'nostalgerise' occasionally about Kodachrome, it definitely had a unique and instantly recognisable look, the colours, contrast and saturation were eye catching at the cost of 5 stops, at best dynamic range.
It also had the best archival properties for transparency film ever.
Maybe the only photographic film to have a song named after it, "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon.
Not bad for a product that had a lot of DIY input from a couple of violin players, Mannes and Godowsky in its development, ( not really a pun as its non substantive, colour couplers in the developers, was a crucial element in its properties).

Woolfe is off-line
19 January 2014 06:47
MartW
Photographer
MartW
Shropshire
Oswestry

lso found this very interesting what the last roll was used for http://youtu.be/DUL6MBVKVLI

PSN is off-line
19 January 2014 08:52
psn
Photographer

South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Thanks for sharing the above link.

Well worth a watch, especially in this digital age of rattling off thousands of shots and sometimes hoping for the best...

raw and the cooked is off-line
19 January 2014 09:53
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

i used to shoot glamour on kodachrome 25 back in the day, film went t france for processing. you needed a lot of flash power!

Paul Hodson is off-line
19 January 2014 11:46
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Rawandthecooked
i used to shoot glamour on kodachrome 25 back in the day, film went t france for processing. you needed a lot of flash power!

Lucky you - it was about 10 ASA when I first used it!

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

19 January 2014 14:24
ATVLONDON
Photographer

I mainly used Kodachrome 64 during the 1980's and it was processed in France. But I stopped using it towards the end because the quality of the processing had dropped. Got lots of rolls back with stains on the images and then started using Ektachrome and processed myself.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

OldMaster is off-line
19 January 2014 15:47
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Never really got the Kodachrome bug...always shot Ektachrome which was the studio professional standard in most ways as you could pull it/push it and it was readily available in 120 size....

Kodachrome I always remember was often a favourite with the landscape shooting fraternity in camera clubs..(usually shot on a Pentax Spotmatic?)

PSN is off-line
19 January 2014 17:31
psn
Photographer

South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Kodachrome 64, immense colours and saturation, I still have thousands of slides in perfect quality.

Ektachrome was always a little cold and blue for me, and even though I used to process it myself and get immediate results [digital take note lol] there was nothing quite like the yellow envelope coming back from Hemel Hempstead.

Mayfair and Penthouse [when it was a classy magazine] loved it too, so was worth the effort back then.

Fujichrome picked up the challenge in the 80's and had a great attempt but if you havent looked at a Kodachrome 25 slide through a quality magnifier then you havent experienced colour saturation.

OldMaster is off-line
20 January 2014 06:45
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Probably true but I have never been sure that Kodachrome was that accurate and of course they all suffered from only "being one colour temperature" so colours would vary depending on lighting conditions.

When I used Ektachrome it was mostly under studio flash lighting which it seemed very well corrected for. As for saturation I can't really comment but I do remember studio flash/incident reading/Ektachrome 1/3rd stop under gave great results! All my work was shot on 'Blad or Mamiya 67 in those days so never really used either in 35mm.

Fuji for me was always a bit odd!! I know their transparency emulsions achieved almost cult following but accurate colours..don't think so!!

If the "colour/film modes" on the Fuji S5 are anything to go by it shows just how far off they were compared to neutral?

I know we could grey card with film and the big commercial boys would use gels to get the colour temp spot on (or where they wanted it) but this has got to be one area where digital cameras make a nonsense of film in this regard?

0 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators