Vinyl Backdrops?

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
11 January 2014 16:56
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I am interested in purchasing my own backdrop. What do you more experienced photographers think to vinyl? 

I am only after constructive help

prostudio360.com/Vinyl-Backgrounds
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

HowardJ is off-line
11 January 2014 17:00
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

It depends what you're shooting.

How do you plan to use it?

11 January 2014 17:22
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Anything from classy art nude to glamour shoots.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

11 January 2014 17:44
NTN_Photography
Photographer

I have a vinyl back drop, black one side and white the other.
It is very easy to clean with a cloth and SIF, but does show high heel marks, but easily removed in photoshop.
Highly recommended and not very expensive to buy (mine is 3 metres wide and 6 meters long).
Each photograph I take gives me the thrill of acheiving something great, (not there yet, but i'm working on.

12 January 2014 07:15
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Thank you Norman, that sounds very positive. :-)

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
12 January 2014 08:43
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Vinyl is a great backdrop option as its very robust, but you need to consider how to support it as its also heavy, classic studio light stands can work but the nature of the footing might push it further away from the wall than you want to, important if working in a small space, like what I do! Some photographic vinyl can be very thin but it still out performs paper for durability. I use a solid grey floor vinyl 2 meters wide by 4.5 meters long, the one thing I like about it is its very durable but will rip eventually, but most important doesn't shine! A lot of vinyl's out there have a highish gloss finish to them which I don't like.

If you are planning to travel out to models house say, then you'll need a hard floor to place them one as heels will go through them if placed on carpet! This and weight is the only advantage for me a material backdrop could have over vinyl. The infinity curve part can get ripped by a heavy weight, i.e if a model in shoes flat or otherwise treads on the curve!

The choice of colours is limited, although not a massive issue I'm looking at buying a darker grey to what I currently use and there the choice is at the moment floor vinyl only!

Dominic

12 January 2014 09:13
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Hi Dominic,

Thank you very much for your input. My vinyl will be kept in the studio so hopefully I should not have to worry about carrying it around and ladies high heel shoes going through it as the floor is concrete. Not sure whether that's good or bad?

I am also considering the grey vinyl.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
12 January 2014 09:36
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I use a white one in the studio most of the time. Like all things they have good and bad points. For a pure white background. That is with background lighting to blow it white the one we currently use is not too bad. There is the constant maintenance of cleaning the floor part but shooting every day the savings on paper make it worth the effort.

I'm less impressed about my current roll for other work though as it tends to 'curtain' slightly, which shows if you are going off white. It also tends to be a little shinier than paper too. If you are doing shoots with stilettos then I would advice against using it over carpet. Holes in paper are one thing. Touch up in photoshop and cut off the damaged paper. Holes in vinyl get expensive.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Neal Shaw is off-line
13 January 2014 15:06
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
West Midlands
Telford

I use white vinyl for the usual white family shoots, its good at getting clean images and find it doesnt need as much power to get the blow out. However I wouldn't recommend it for anything other really. I find its too shiny even the matt side so much prefer to use paper rolls or walls for that.

13 January 2014 16:05
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Thank you everyone for your contributions to what to me is an extremely important decision. I have heard so many positives, but almost as many negatives views and opinions. This is going to be extremely difficult decision to make. I'm going to the have to bite the bullet soon.

Thanks again to you all

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Kath27 skykantara1
ad360photo bbphotos colinpierce Dalesdesigns dave@studio99 diphoto djb1 firsttake jeanm jezzam kimsandman2 oldbloke philippahh rscott360 Scotography SMILESPHOTO Sp_digital zzdigital