Cheap non-TTL triggers

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 January 2014 03:07
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Any recommendations for a cheap, non-TTL trigger system (for speedlites).  Everything I'm coming across seems to be TTL for either Nikon or Canon and don't really want to go down the route of premium triggers (eg. Pocket Wizard).

I've got a friend who wants to start using off camera flash with his Panasonic Lumix and I was going to recommend getting a Yongnuo TN-560 or two (I've got them so I would both recommend and can better explain how they work) with cheap brollies, and need some cheap trigger system that'll happiliy work with his Panasonic Lumix.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Henry is off-lineSilver Member
09 January 2014 03:24
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
Lancashire
Blackpool

The cheapest way I know of connecting a camera to a flashgun is to use a straight lead. Hama do a 5m PC to PC lead for about £6.30. If his camera does not have a PC connector, a hot shoe adaptor costs less than £10. An alternative method of triggering flash units is to use an optical slave unit. These generally retail for less than £15.
I may as well do it. I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

09 January 2014 03:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I don't want a cable for the sake of both convenience and safety (in that cables are easy to trip over). Besides I know there are wireless triggers that are stupidly cheap (~£20-30) and the convenience of them will far outweight the minimal cost saving of getting a cable (which will be ~£10-15 for a long one).

The optical slave has occured to me but would require the ability to control the on-board flash. Many cameras with built-in flash (in my experience) have little control over the power of this and so I'd rather avoid this route if possible (although an alternative is to buy an additional flash that can be regulated and stuck on the hotshoe).

I should say my idea of cheap is ~£20-50 for the set (ie. cheaper than PW or Elinchrom Skyports)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Lysander is off-lineSilver Member
09 January 2014 04:40
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
West Midlands
Wolverhampton

Try Interfit Strobies Sync 4. That might be o.k.
"I would rather be Schroedinger's Cat than one of Pavlov's Dogs."

Jay R Tog is off-line
09 January 2014 04:40
Josh_Woodcock_Photography
Photographer
Josh_Woodcock_Photography
London
london/kent

i believe if you buy the cheap youneo ones and just have everything set to manual it will ignor any ttl afjustments
Don't take care, take risks

raw and the cooked is off-line
09 January 2014 05:05
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Small point. I have eli sky port, and though my quadra pack has a built in receiver, i also have the expensive receivers that can be plugged into speed lights. They are effectively dumb triggers though, no ttl, no remote power control. Not even great dumb triggers, as I discovered on location in Cyprus. I am sure Yongnuo is the way to go!

David Nuttall is off-lineSilver Member
09 January 2014 05:21
DavidN
Photographer

Kent
Dartford

They don't come much cheaper than these:- 

http://www.linkdelight.com/T1A-Radio-Slave-Trigger-Set-for-Studio-Flash-AAA-Battery-Power.html

I think they're discontinued, though, which is why they're selling them off cheap. You can also buy additional receivers from the same site.
I have 3 or 4 sets and they work well with my Bowens Monolites and Yongnuo, Vivitar 283 and Mecablitz flashguns, if all you want to do is trigger them. The only drawback is that you have to make up your own jack socket to PC connector lead.

I have also found Linkdelight to be a reliable company to deal with (but not very hot on technical support)

Baddo is off-line
09 January 2014 05:40
baddo
Photographer

Staffordshire
Stoke on Trent

I have the Yongnuo 630, they cost around £30 for 3 on ebay a couple of years ago and have just bought the Yongnuo YN560-111 flash gun which has a built in trigger. They do what they say on the tin and work well at an affordable cost. Hope this helps

Stefan Schiefer is off-line
09 January 2014 05:47
stefanschiefer
Photographer

South Yorkshire

Quote from baddo
I have the Yongnuo 630, they cost around £30 for 3 on ebay a couple of years ago and have just bought the Yongnuo YN560-111 flash gun which has a built in trigger. They do what they say on the tin and work well at an affordable cost. Hope this helps

I second these triggers, amazing piece of kit for the price!

09 January 2014 06:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Anyone used these before:  XCSource triggers

What attracts me to them is that the transmitter doesn't have TTL pins, hence it's a genuine 'dumb' set, TTL pins on transmitter worries me especially since this isn't being used on a Canon or Nikon (although I'm not sure how the protocols vary).  For £13 I may get some myself to suck it and see and keep them in the car as backups in case I forget to pack my PW triggers or they fail (unlikely).

9 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CintraXX QueenDeeVa01 Shanti
ad360photo ElegantCaptures nemesis rscott360 Stevedphoto Terry20