Reminder Secure

Good quality props, masks, costumes etc - where do you go?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Paul is online
19 December 2013 17:37
ShootonLocation
Photographer
ShootonLocation
West Midlands
UK Professional Photographer

Good quality props, masks, costumes etc - where do you all go to find these?

For example, you wish to shoot an Alice in Wonderland scene, or replicate a master painting, or use outsized sweets etc etc

Is there a top end supplier? Anyone who makes to order? An eBay site? Theatre cast off sales?

I don't wish to make my own, thank you
.. it is what you leave out of the photograph that makes the picture

Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
20 December 2013 05:44
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

pm sent

David Kirk is off-line
20 December 2013 07:28
DKirk
Photographer

Glasgow
Glasgow

More of a chandlers, but have a look at http://www.flints.co.uk/

Catherine is off-lineSilver Member
26 December 2013 19:28
catherinewilliams
Model
catherinewilliams
West Midlands
Ross-on-wye

I once got a tour around this place near me.They made sets and costumes for many well known films such as Gladiator ,lara Croft ect. http://www.armordillo.co.uk/Home.html

Not sure if they are still in business as the website has not been updated recently.
I once spent a weekend in Bath, with ass-kicking mum of 8 Miss Cath. No offence to this mummy, the play-fighting was funny. But now I might need an Osteopath! by Laya Randle-Conde

Barry Usher is off-lineGold Member
27 December 2013 02:30
dreambhug
Photographer

East Sussex
Polegate

I bought a show-girl dress at a charity shop, I still use it. Charity shops can be a great source of props. I was thinking of doing an "Alice" shoot so I'll probably research on-line fancy dress, I often buy a size too big and use clothes pegs to ensure a snug fit - the camera never lies!

David Heels is off-line
27 December 2013 09:03
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

I've hired costumes from local theatres. So long as the costume department are not run off their feet (as they are at the moment with it being Panto season) then I've found them to be very helpful and friendly. It's always best to explain that you want to hire for a shoot, rather than a party. They'll worry less about damage or cleaning bills.

Once you get friendly with them, you might find them willing to sell off odd bits and bobs. For instance, I own 18 Nuns costumes, from a production of The Sound of Music.

I've also bought a few props and costumes off ebay, shot with them, then resold them on ebay. On one occasion I actually made a profit.

Dave
PS. I'm also interested in quality props if anyone has any leads.

GRAHAM HICKMAN is off-line
28 December 2013 04:33
IRONBLOKEMAN
Photographer

Shropshire
TELFORD

Try Albemarle Scenic Studios.We make musical and pantomime sets.Have our own costume department-Theatre Gear,Tunbridge Wells.Lots of stuff made for Chessington World of Adventure,Butlins,P & O.Currently working on Scooby Doo ,QueenTour.Past work for Kaiser Chiefs,Lady boys of Bangkok and more.Phone [ removed in accordance with the terms of use].Closed until Januaey 2nd.e-mail [removed in accordance with the terms of use ]Check out Albemarle of London web site

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Actor_H mandymack RoxyMendez winX
bbphotos Bninja Chris_Mansfield donaldmac Glam2k Johno1 Ladiesman mike0048 moritz78 MrDL msmith_tog nickdandalos peterh redbaron rmi Shootonlocation stevegosh