Reminder Secure

compact flash card

minolta is off-lineSilver Member
04 December 2013 14:59
minolta
Photographer

East Sussex
hastings

have recently done a shoot, and card reads some photos, and has doubled up some photos, not my doing, also say cant read photo and just the blank square you get, will not let me open any ideas ,i understand there is a program you can get, any ideas, thanks.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
04 December 2013 15:52
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Were you shooting RAW and JPEG? that might explain doubling up, Look at the file numbers, can you view both of the doubled up files and are they the same number, Software for card recovery is available some for free off tinterweb, And some to be purchased, I have a free version from Sandisc and it is very good.

Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
05 December 2013 04:20
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

pm sent

Laurence Power is off-line
05 December 2013 05:56
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Somebody who works with me has a Sony and it seems to default to saving files as both raw and jpeg if he selects raw saving.
Laurence J. Power

05 December 2013 08:21
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Could be wrong but though if you save a raw file it will contain a jpeg file by default

Laurence Power is off-line
05 December 2013 09:11
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Quote from paulford
Could be wrong but though if you save a raw file it will contain a jpeg file by default

Correct but that jpeg is within the raw file, this was a completely separate jpeg file, it clogged a memory card up completely and meant that copying the files onto a computer took forever because the girl doing it did not realise the problem.
Laurence J. Power

07 December 2013 00:45
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Do they show up when using camera to view them? if so could you try a test, Take a series of photos and then delete the ones that double up using camera delete function then see what happens when uploading to computer.

4EverYoung is off-line
07 December 2013 19:52
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

It doesn't matter if you shoot Raw or Jpeg the image that is displayed on your rear lcd is an embeded jpeg.

depending on camera

you can shoot

Jpeg only
Raw only
Raw and Jpeg

on canon cameras the file name is almost identical for the raw and the Jpeg the difference being an _

one is img 1234 the other is _img 1234

Most Pc's wont display a Raw file image unless you install the Raw codec.

i'd guess the OP is shooting raw + Jpeg mode

Personally i shoot Raw only mode and extract the jpeg the lcd uses if i need a quick jpeg image.
I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 December 2013 01:30
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Midnite
Personally i shoot Raw only mode and extract the jpeg the lcd uses if i need a quick jpeg image.

How do you do that/what software does this?

I'm well aware of the fact there is a JPG embedded inside RAW files but don't know how you extract them directly which I assume is a very quick process compared to batch-processing the RAW files in something like Lightroom (which would involve possible rescaling/resampling, colour conversion and the subsequent compression using the JPG algorithm).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
08 December 2013 03:40
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

What advantage would you get from extracting jpg from raw rather than just shooting Raw + jpg

Nikon cameras use same file name with .nef or .jpg when you shoot both.

The question for op is do the duplicate photos have the same file name (number) ?
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Jessica_Knight RoxyMendez Winterlilly
antoinewynn chopper_images csk_photography djb1 Essexjohn eyecandiphotography GGDP_Photography hylander JohnDentonPhoto keltica lify MIB nickdandalos Njsphotography panda49 paulq photosareu psn redbaron sniffer stevegosh TinDolls Tricky7 VB_Photo Vinceb