Serif software

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
01 December 2013 11:02
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Over the years ive bought some software off Serif and keep getting updates etc, always wanted to start up my own website so thought of buying serif's Web Plusx6.But has anyone had or used this software? Money is tight and even tho its a good price,is it  worth it?

w4pictures is off-line
01 December 2013 12:06
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

I've used Webplusx4 and it is certainly easy to knock out a website. Design is very graphic based and intuitive especially if you're familiar with Pageplus etc. My site was done using x4.

The things I found a bit limiting in x4 were the contact forms. It gives you options to create a new email which opens the default email client (not necessarily appropriate on all computers), download a 3rd party form and insert the code (not as easy as it sounds if your computer skills are like mine) or to pay Serif for hosting in which case emails are routed through their servers.

You get a fair selection of Flash and Java slideshows. In these days of Flash nervousness, more sophisticated Java ones would be welcome but maybe that's been addressed in x6.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
02 December 2013 10:40
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I have it but never really bothered using it to be honest. It did not look particularly difficult, though I have had easier programs but Wordpress does everything I want and more a lot quicker. Though I need to add the caveat that I have a very good grasp of Wordpress so can tweak most things on it if needed.

The snag I usually find with those programs is they never quite have a template that is quite what you want so it ends up I may just have well used one of the many excellent free web design programs out there.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Keith Wells is off-lineSilver Member
02 December 2013 11:31
keithpics
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

I bought Webplusx4 and wasn't impressed. I couldn't get it to do the things I wanted.

My main objection, though, was Serif. It seemed that having got me to buy one product there was then a never-ending stream of emails and phone calls to buy something else. Depending on how hard I argued I was offered more and more discounts, additions, etc. If I still didn't buy then I got the old sob story routine - must meet targets or else, and such-like. Selling at its worst! Certainly never pay the standard price; the going rate seems to be about a third of that.

scubie is off-lineSilver Member
02 December 2013 12:21
scubie
Photographer
scubie
West Sussex
worthing

Yep I've used serif for several websites including my own. Cheap and easy to use as I'm not keen on template style webs.
I don't use their galleries though as their flash does poor job, so I use "imagevue" gallery www.dougsphotos.co.uk/gallery and link from main site, this can show either flash or html.
Agree wih Keithpics re hard sell, just tell them to get lost! They eventually get the message.
Doug

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Czechbeauty emmaloux Franchella MissCaraJane pinklilly QueenDeeVa01 RoxyMendez Sammy_Louise Sarahlou73
ad360photo antoinewynn chandos david1500 john_at_tina_spice Jpdo JRFox lemonvalleystudio Peter_d_photography peterh PhilWinterbourne rscott360 ScottMCCCXIV shinywear Shootonlocation Steveh32 tigerman