Reminder Secure

Observation!

30 November 2013 16:15
silverk
Photographer

I only pass the occasional comment in the forums but do like to read them to see whats happening in the photographic world, recently I have noticed that practically every thread is being hijacked by haters, argument starters and just general obnoxiousness!

For personal reasons I hate this time of year but would like to wish every one of you a happy Xmas, thanksgiving, Hannukah or whatever you believe in. Do you think we could possible start the New Year on a more positive note and stop the bitching?

30 November 2013 19:04
PaulManuell
Photographer

Take cover

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
30 November 2013 22:10
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

I sincerely doubt that switching to a positive note on this site is possible anymore, but it would certainly be nice. I used to love this site and I would log in a few times a day; these days, it's more like once a week, and I can't bear the forums for the most part. There's just so much hatred and pedantic sarcasm, it makes my soul ache.

Merry Christmas.
A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

Gerry is off-line
01 December 2013 04:54
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I am pretty baffled as there are hardly any threads anymore and most only last a couple of pages. The two bottom threads on my home page - the last comment was made 5 days ago.

I would say the forums are quiet. There used to be a huge amount of arguing and tantrums. There is insufficient activity to ever generate that status. It was the arguing and tantrums that at times drove people away and also drew them in.

I don't think it would be possible to let the forums quieten down any further without them ceasing to exist.

There will always be a proportion of people who participate in forums to be antagonistic. This is by a long way the mildest of forums of the three most active sites.

The most popular forum by a long way is also the most antagonistic with people being suspended and banned and fights occurring on a daily basis.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Profile Pictures is off-line
01 December 2013 05:47
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Here's an observation for the OP, if you don't contribute to the site, you'll not have any influence on its direction. I notice quite a few who like to chat but never actually upload a picture or appear to do any photography, that's weird I think, I mean, how interested is someone who last put a new picture up two or more years ago?

Rupert Rudd is off-line
01 December 2013 08:04
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

Ah the happy days of "go chew on a fish". I suspect all the gobby ones got chucked out of here for pushing their luck too far and so ended up forming PP. Also people move on. F'rinstance the glorious Laylac, still here, who has grown in other directions but deprived us of her great writing style and mind.
So the gobby ones practice their skills elsewhere and a similar growth, plateau and death spiral will take place until  it becomes quiet and more stable too.
A bit disappointed in many peoples lack of loyalty though.
Purestorm is still my favourite source for models and this is where I choose to spend my money.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Neil Anderson is off-line
01 December 2013 08:10
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Perhaps it would be a good idea if posts could have have a 'like/hate' button or 'found this helpful/didn't find it helpful' button. Then people could show their support or opposition to a post without further comment.

I don't generally see much point in posting to add to a collection of posts which I agree with.

If someone starts a negative thread about models unreasonable demands etc. surely they deserve a contrary response, and if they do it in a derisory way, they open themselves to derision in response.

There are a number of things which lead to opinionated responses and escalating venom.
a) A stupid question/comment (some of which look as if the original post may have been made whilst the poster was drunk).
b) A confused question/comment where several different contentious points are made (some times contradicting themselves), then replies are actually replying to different parts of the original post.
c) Questions/posts which assume all 'models' or all 'photographers' on this site are homogenous groups.
d) People who have an answer ready to apply to any thread even if it's not remotely relevant.
e) People who think it's a positive response to give people the wrong answer, because they themselves don't know the right answer (but they had a friend who used to know a man who might have read the answer in the Sun or on Facebook).

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Carliegomez24 Katieann1
AaronKent Davidhunt dby47 Foxwellphoto George99 jccj1 Kjoservices nickdandalos Platidonio redbaron skymouse Spiritofwales stevegosh Thunder_Photos