I'm gonna try using deepskystacker software if it makes it back

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
27 November 2013 09:18
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Seeing Hale Bopp was one of the most memorable events of my life, and I even managed to capture it on film, but unfortunately I did not own a digital camera back in April '97 and I only had a 300mm lens with me so I could not get decent shots.

On the night the comet passed closest to Earth a bunch of us were out in the Sahara southwest of Tamagroute, courtesy of Michelin who were promoting their then new Scorpion desert tyre to international motoring journalists competing on the '97 Toyota Desert Raid. The sky was cloudless, as is usual at that time of year in the Western Sahara, and the nearest civilisation (village) was at least 40 kilometres away from our camp, so there was no light spill to spoil our view. Even the Michelin guys who were trying to give the formal product presentation gave up and joined us drivers and navigators lying on our backs on a steeply sloping dune just taking in the spectacular sight while drinking warm Moroccan wine and nibbling on charcoal grilled lamb kebabs. A truly wondrous experience.

Bob

Profile Pictures is off-line
27 November 2013 10:25
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Quote from modjo30
With the long exposure needed you should get a nice tail in the image , not just a dot like a star

That'd be a blur then rather than a tail?

Frank Sinnott is off-line
27 November 2013 10:37
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Quote from modjo30
With the long exposure needed you should get a nice tail in the image , not just a dot like a star

Comets come with the tail as part of the package.  Unless you want a longer one which will only turn the stars and planets into trails.  Then the comet just becomes a star trail.

Preswylfa is off-line
27 November 2013 12:44
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Caerphilly
Blackwood

Quote from frankpht
Comets come with the tail as part of the package.  Unless you want a longer one which will only turn the stars and planets into trails.  Then the comet just becomes a star trail.[/qt
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just what happened in my shot of the Hale - Bopp comet.
You can see that it's elongated as are the stars alongside.
I should have used the Nikkormat with the 200mm but somehow chose the RB67 with standard 90mm lens.

Film was Ilford HP5 plus and the exposure was one of 10 bracketed shots.

The chance of seeing a Comet is I suppose about 20 to 1 during your lifetime, the odds against having a cloudless night sky in Wales is astronomical.surprise
Mike

http://images.purestorm.com/z-images3/imageupload15/gwentman_18851230_thm.jpg?983107180

Someone like to put the image up here for me?

It looks better accessed from my ;folio.

vasquito is off-lineSilver Member
28 November 2013 04:11
vasquito
Photographer
vasquito
Borders

Quote from Bob
Seeing Hale Bopp was one of the most memorable events of my life, and I even managed to capture it on film, but unfortunately I did not own a digital camera back in April '97 and I only had a 300mm lens with me so I could not get decent shots.

On the night the comet passed closest to Earth a bunch of us were out in the Sahara southwest of Tamagroute, courtesy of Michelin who were promoting their then new Scorpion desert tyre to international motoring journalists competing on the '97 Toyota Desert Raid. The sky was cloudless, as is usual at that time of year in the Western Sahara, and the nearest civilisation (village) was at least 40 kilometres away from our camp, so there was no light spill to spoil our view. Even the Michelin guys who were trying to give the formal product presentation gave up and joined us drivers and navigators lying on our backs on a steeply sloping dune just taking in the spectacular sight while drinking warm Moroccan wine and nibbling on charcoal grilled lamb kebabs. A truly wondrous experience.

Bob

insanely jealous !!!

V

Pontius584 is off-line
28 November 2013 16:08
pontius584
Photographer
pontius584
Clwyd

Comet Ison seems to have gone too close to the sun and melted now. Bugger.
"The camera never lies" - but PhotoShop does!

modjo30 is off-line
28 November 2013 17:23
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

Quote from pontius584
Comet Ison seems to have gone too close to the sun and melted now. Bugger.

Latest report said it was still intact

modjo30 is off-line
28 November 2013 20:34
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

Looks like it's still alive - http://soho.esac.esa.int/data/realtime/c3/512/

EdT is off-line
29 November 2013 13:09
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from PaulManuell
I remember Haley's comet being on the news when it was here, but never saw it myself.

Haley's comet would have been one of Bill's backing singers. I think it's Halley's comet you mean.

I know, everyone hates a smartarse.

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
miles
bigearspix cygnet kesi