Reminder Secure

Comet photo opportunity.

26 November 2013 17:41
PaulManuell
Photographer

I saw a programme last night about a comet heading our way (but not in a crashing into us way) that's going to be a very visible naked eye object. It's during the first week of December (from memory) and visible early in the morning. Just thought I'd mention it as it sounds like a brilliant photo opportunity, clear skies permitting. I'm certainly going to try rattling off a mega bracketed 36 exposure film if I'm lucky enough to see it.

Gary Newton is off-line
26 November 2013 18:07
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

Don't get too hopeful, looks like its return trip will be disappointing if at all. I've been following its progress for a while and the theory is it will break-up/melt when it passes the Sun. I get progress info on Facebook earthsky group.

26 November 2013 19:02
PaulManuell
Photographer

Really? Damn that Horizon programme, it made it out to be a spectacular sight.

Profile Pictures is off-line
27 November 2013 04:20
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Unless I'm getting it wrong, a large comet would just be a light in the sky, pretty much like a star with most camera gear wouldn't it? I've had some success with the Perseides showers in August, but those give hooting star type pictures and frequency is about 2-3 a minute so you stand a decent chance in clear skies with a wide angle fitted.

27 November 2013 05:09
PaulManuell
Photographer

No, a comet's the one that has a bright head and long tail flowing from it. And that's not a meteor, they just streak across the sky, whereas a comet appears static. There've been a couple that I've seen in the past and they're beautiful to look at.

Profile Pictures is off-line
27 November 2013 05:55
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Ah right, I only really remember Haleys comet, which was a bit profilepictures is a naughty person give me shooting stars any day

27 November 2013 06:22
PaulManuell
Photographer

I remember Haley's comet being on the news when it was here, but never saw it myself. The 2 I do remember seeing though, were (and excuse my spellings, I know they're going to be totally wrong) Hale Boppe and Hyatukate, and they were both bright and beautiful to see. I managed a photo of one of them but it was pretty crap tbh. That's why I'd love another opportunity to photograph one.

Suzy Monty is off-line
27 November 2013 07:05
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Quote from PaulManuell
I remember Haley's comet being on the news when it was here, but never saw it myself. The 2 I do remember seeing though, were (and excuse my spellings, I know they're going to be totally wrong) Hale Boppe and Hyatukate, and they were both bright and beautiful to see. I managed a photo of one of them but it was pretty crap tbh. That's why I'd love another opportunity to photograph one.

cheekyPress Agencies will be interested if you can capture this, Paul. All the very best...let us all know how you get on...

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

27 November 2013 08:11
PaulManuell
Photographer

Thank you Suzy. Trouble is, even if I took the shot of the century (I know, but bear with me, haha), the press would want the digital file yesterday, not a week later when I've had the film developed and given the cd to someone to send the file off for me. Would be old news by then. I'd just be happy with a half decent photo, even if only for myself

modjo30 is off-line
27 November 2013 08:34
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

Quote from profilepictures
Unless I'm getting it wrong, a large comet would just be a light in the sky, pretty much like a star with most camera gear wouldn't it? I've had some success with the Perseides showers in August, but those give hooting star type pictures and frequency is about 2-3 a minute so you stand a decent chance in clear skies with a wide angle fitted.

With the long exposure needed you should get a nice tail in the image , not just a dot like a star

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin DanielleWxx Mizbounci natalie120525 Sophiadelane
bob chriscooze claypaws david1500 dgw dorrian Essexjohn frankpht gazzer59 Glam2k Kjoservices mike0048 nemesis sandycamel
matt