Reminder Secure

24-70

This thread is being watched by 1 person
06 February 2014 19:00
Catuaba
Photographer

It will definitely be my next lens, and by the time I can afford a 24-70 maybe the i.s version will make itself known.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 February 2014 02:41
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It makes sense that the lower the zoom factor, the better quality the lens and the 24-70 is no exception so it's a trade-off between convenience and quality (certainly at wide apertures). And I think it's safe to say that anything with a zoom factor of up to 3x is going to be pretty damn good, anything beyond that is going to be hit/miss depending on the lens design.

I've said it before on these forums but I'll say it again... I just wish the manufacturers would make something like a 50-150 f2.8 (for full frame). It would be a very nice compromise between using a 24-70 or 70-200 (my main zooms), the low zoom factor (3x) would ensure quality and f2.8 would be a sensible aperture to design into it. I'd be willing to bet good money these would sell by the boatload. A 35-140 would also be popular as a 4x ratio lens (just like the 28-105 is roughly 4x) but with that extra bit of reach (and I'd be quite happy with 140mm as I seem to take most of my best shots at ~135mm according to EXIF data)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Christopher Vian-Smith is off-lineSilver Member
12 February 2014 12:39
ChrisVS
Photographer
ChrisVS
London
London

I'm looking at getting the Canon EOS 6d with the 24-105mm lens.

Can anyone tell me how good the auto-focus is on that combination?

The place I usually shoot in doesn't have very good ambient light and the various Pentax bodies and lenses I currently use have trouble focussing before the remote flashes fire giving very unsatisfactory results.
www.chrisvs.com

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
WestRockCareers
photofrank Shootonlocation snappytim