Reminder Secure

24-70

This thread is being watched by 1 person
25 November 2013 17:30
Catuaba
Photographer

24-70 2.8 OR 24-105 f4 is

After loads of consideration I was swaying towards 24-105 (price, is, etc)

However I then found all the info on error 01 or something?

How likely is this error.

Seventy Percent Curves is off-line
25 November 2013 17:45
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrence
Hampshire
Farnborough

Nikon or Canon and for what purpose are you using the lens?

25 November 2013 17:55
Catuaba
Photographer

It's canon, I think im pretty set on the 24-105 but it's just that error that concerns me, wondered if anyone had experienced it.

Mantisphoto is off-lineSilver Member
25 November 2013 20:47
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Birmingham

I use a 24-105 f4 IS USM with a Canon 6D and to be honest I love it.... used this kit for a few months now and not experienced any errors whatsoever. The lens is sharp, quiet and well balanced... This lens is hardly ever off my camera as I find with the extra reach it offers over a 24-70 its more versatile for what I want to shoot. The 24-70 2.8 offers 1 stop more but its also more expensive. I would definitely recommend the lens based on my personal experience with it!

Paul Hodson is off-line
26 November 2013 02:27
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I have had the 24-105 since it came out. No errors lovely lens.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
26 November 2013 02:38
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

There are two main reasons for chosing a 24-70 over a 24-105:

- faster/more accurate focussing due to Canon bodies having enhanced AF sensitivity when used with f2.8 or faster lenses
- build quality is tougher on the 24-70 (I think the 24-105 is plastic, the 24-70 is metal, it's certainly a lot heavier anyway)

I'm assuming the OP is talking about the old 24-70 (and not the new mk2), that being the case one other benefit is that the 24-70 has a lens hood that's connected to the lens body and not the zoom mechanism. So, if you were to accidentally bash the lens against something while the hood is on it is the lens body that takes the shock from the impact, not the zoom mechanism (for some reason however the mk2 didn't do this).

On the plus side for the 24-105 it has IS and a greater reach (giving some overlap if you have a 70-200), and it's a lighter lens (although some would argue this means it isn't as good).

It's a horrible choice and IMO would be a no brainer if the 24-70 had IS (which sadly it doesn't). I personally went for the 24-70 when getting a standard 'L' zoom, primarily for the f2.8 focussing ability but also that a friend of mine who owns both claimed the image quality of the 24-105 wasn't as good.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

GrahamWhite is off-lineSilver Member
26 November 2013 04:05
grahamwhite
Photographer
grahamwhite
Warwickshire
Leamington Spa

I spent about a month researching this very question; the answer seems to be that you will be happy with either, for slightly different reasons!

In the end I went for a 24-70, and I love it. I bet I would have loved the 24-105 too

Paul Venn is off-lineSilver Member
26 November 2013 04:11
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Norfolk
Norwich

I have both and I use (on full frame 1Ds mk111) the 24-105 a lot more than the 24-70. Why? reach and lighter weight. I agree with Red Checker that the 24-70 appears better built when comparing them but in use there is nothing "wrong" with the 24-105, it feels great. I have never felt that I have a focussing problem due to the lack of a stop.

As regards image quality with my copies I would say the 24-105 just edges a victory but in practice the difference is not noticeable for my usage. However I have an acquaintance who also has both and rates these lenses the other way round.

I have never had any errors with the lens. Be aware that very early copies had a fault and were "fixed" free of charge by Canon (I believe that replaced part of the optics).

If something happened to mine I would replace it as soon as I could. I would not be in such a hurry with the 24-70.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
26 November 2013 04:24
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

I have both the 24-105 f4 ISM & the 24-70 f2.8 mk 1 (only afforded the 2.8 after getting a long service award a couple of years or so ago where I had to get something tangible).

I love them both & have never had any errors that you mention.

I find them both similar but with subtle differences such as the 2.8 being heavier. The 2.8 has a slightly smaller minimum focus as well. I have not noticed any discernible differences in the image quality - but I am not a tester or photograph graphs & calibration stuff !

Like redchecker says the 2.8 has the edge for focusing and is slightly easier to use in low light & of course has the 1 stop dof difference should you wish it. As I like doing natural light shots I sometimes find this useful.

It all depends on your photography but if I had to push for just the one I would probably still go for the 24-105 ISM but I think it really is a close call.

Dave Beasley is off-line
26 November 2013 06:33
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I too have both theses lenses and have had the 24-105 for something like seven years and never had an error. It does now suffer from mild "droop" if i hold it front element down, then the zoom mechanism tends to extend slightly but in practical use its no problem. The IS is useful as is the extra reach.
That said the 24-70 has its own advantages, primarily wider aperture but they are both excellent lenses and value wise the 24-105 is hard to beat.

Dave

49 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Annaxxwachowicz DareMeDD Kacie Mialczynski MissCaraJane Rosamund Tharris89
AesirRey alanstrutt andrewmoon antoinewynn Camerawerks chandos chicimages cliffc diphoto djb1 George99 Gregory_Mason hylander jccj1 JohnDentonPhoto JRFox jwd1 kizer lslesmith Macman martinchristie Matt1988 MIB p4pFetography PhilGW PHP_Photography RealityImaging redbaron redtail Rob77 skymouse sniffer Sp_digital spiritofwales steveh32 Stevew1 thelook VB_Photo vicpics zzdigital
harbourstudio
matt