Reminder Secure

Editing.. Is It Rude?

13 November 2013 12:25
emmwood
Model

When it comes to equestrian events, I'm the other side of the lens.

I've just found a selection of my images on a parent's page of one of the teenagers at the last cross country I shot dreadfully edited and have even cropped out my logo. I'm not happy. I messaged them and said I would have appreciated being asked before stealing my images and then editing them, to which I got "oh well, no big deal, everyone does it!"

No money exchanged hands; I went to help the riding school out with a bit of showing what their pony club gets up to on days out.

Thoughts please?

mr DL is off-lineSilver Member
13 November 2013 12:33
mrdl
Photographer
mrdl
Lincolnshire
Boston

Yes, it is rude of them to edit your photos, especially so to remove your logo. If it happened to me I, and I was unhappy with the images that were used, I would ask for them to be removed. If they didnt, I would then contact the web host and ask them to remove it. Or.... send them an invoice for the publication of the image.
If you wanted pink you shouldn't of took all those pictures of young ladies, should you? It's monochrome from now on, friend. Alright?

Howard Mansfield is off-line
13 November 2013 16:31
HMansfield
Photographer
HMansfield
Nottinghamshire

Link her to some news stories showing what happens to "everyone" that does it, and how it is a big deal.
Everyone knows photographers make up the hottest proportions of Britains single men. - Kater

theperfectgentleman is off-line
13 November 2013 17:58
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectgentleman
Essex
Chelmsford

If you went to help out the riding school then I would have a word with then expressing your distain.
I had it happen with another organisation and as they had a pull with one of their pupils they took it into their hands to discipline the member, and change the club rules to include this appalling action.

OldMaster is off-line
14 November 2013 15:58
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Invoice them and then see if "everyone does it"..

Sadly its this attitude that has gone towards the general attitude towards the value of photography and photographers..? Who supplied the parent? The riding school....invoice them as well! Part of the problem is of course they can always get someone usually to cover events for nothing and when it comes to quality the majority can't tell the difference these days being used to so many social network images and amateurs covering weddings, etc...whoops

I hold by my experience..there are two reasons photographers get work these days...jobs others can't do and jobs others don't want to do!

Mind you when it comes to models there aren't so many of them that will do anything without payment because there will always be some one out there prepared to pay them and the quality of the outcome is of no importance...different may be when "the boot is on the other foot?"

" Hibby " is off-line
14 November 2013 18:26
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Quote from OldMaster

Mind you when it comes to models there aren't so many of them that will do anything without payment because there will always be some one out there prepared to pay them and the quality of the outcome is of no importance...different may be when "the boot is on the other foot?"

That does not accord with my experience - I have had several models travel very long distances (up to 600 miles)to work with me without payment. I hasten to add that they approached me - my normal way of working is to offer people I work with a modest payment. I have learnt from bitter experience that in many things in life the statement "you get what you pay for" is all too often absolute rubbish.

"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

GCImages is off-line
14 November 2013 20:16
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
Gloucestershire
Gloucester

They have already used your images.  Ask for an address to send the invoice to.  And no, its not rude, its THEFT.

Profile Pictures is off-line
15 November 2013 02:03
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

It isn't too much aggro to draw up a small claims
Court situation. In practical terms it'd e impossible for them to contest since the original raw file resides on your pc ( I hope)

Why anyone mentions models in the same thread is beyond me, twisted maybe?

Paul Riddell is off-line
15 November 2013 05:22
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

"oh well, no big deal, everyone does it!"

Extremely rude and offensive an attitude that devalues the whole industry.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 November 2013 05:50
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

This is why many photographers (esp. event ones) put ugly watermarks across the middle of them so that it's obvious the images have been pinched, another trick is to make images small enough that they'll desire to (hopefully) buy the big ones off you. Short of threatening legal action though you can't stop them though as people will do anything just to get something for free, even if it does look RedChecker is a naughty person .
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Argentiq Dphphotography FirstLifePhotography George99 keltica martinchristie photostevo redtail Ross85 scottmcccxiv Thunder_Photos TinDolls