Samantha Duell is off-line
15 October 2013 13:17
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
Cambridgeshire
whittlesey

so yeah im an amateur

im not great at taking pics i dont have the right lighting, or the best angles or even the right editing skills yet

but to be told by a model (no one from this site i have to say) that she wont shoot with you cause "your work isnt professional and you dont have the skills" is just rude!!!!!!!
i approched her and she agreed to shoot with me she wanted me to email her some of my work to see the style i use and she said that im really upset bout it
has anyone eles amateur or pro out there had the same responce from a model or person in the industry cause i dont know im bothering

Strober is off-line
15 October 2013 13:43
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

Put it down as experience and just move on mate, certain people do display negative attitudes such as this every now and again, also every photographer of all levels will experience "difficult people like this" at some point of their photographic career. Example I don't do Video, I don't do Home Shoots, I only work for pay (yet they have applied to your tf post etc... etc...)

Remember that saying if at first you don't succeed then try and try again. Just move on and forget about them, you continue to develop your skills as a photographer and just let them sit behind their computer screens waiting to hit it big time (yawn) and remember never take it personal, as we all get it every now and again

Quote from SDuell
so yeah im an amateur

im not great at taking pics i dont have the right lighting, or the best angles or even the right editing skills yet

but to be told by a model (no one from this site i have to say) that she wont shoot with you cause "your work isnt professional and you dont have the skills" is just rude!!!!!!!
i approched her and she agreed to shoot with me she wanted me to email her some of my work to see the style i use and she said that im really upset bout it
has anyone eles amateur or pro out there had the same responce from a model or person in the industry cause i dont know im bothering

www.strober.co.uk

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
15 October 2013 14:25
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Think of it more as your style isnt suiting what she is looking for, everyone has their own style of photography, it may suit some, not others, thats why I say if my style of work is of interest, to some it may be, to others possibly not.

Don't get upset by it though, just move on, its not worth the hassle, try and find a local model to work with and in time you will develop your own style of photography and you will improve, you'll be fine.

'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

Paul Hodson is off-line
15 October 2013 14:50
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

On the assumption you asked for a TF shoot and she does not feel you could add to her portfolio - the options are

1. She ignores you - which many don't like
2. she lies about why she won't shoot with you.
3. she tells you the way it is - which hurts.

Personally - I would accept it as a wake up call to improve. You have to ask yourself if your work would enhance her portfolio. It's always necessary to be realistic about whom you offer a TF shoot to.

Of course - if you offered to pay and she still said no - that really sucks!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul J is off-line
15 October 2013 15:32
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

Quote from SDuell
cause i dont know im bothering

don't ever let one individual upset you to the point of questioning whether or not you want to continue.  just remember that this works the other way too.  i've shot with some VERY talented models who have told me stories where they've been refused work from photographers accompanied by degrading comments on their personal appearance as to why they've been turned down.

move on to the next model, enjoy your next shoot & continue with your photography - don't dwell too much on this.

..... and your legs are too short, I want a fit bird from the Sunday Sport

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
15 October 2013 15:46
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

Quote from SDuell
so yeah im an amateur im not great at taking pics i dont have the right lighting, or the best angles or even the right editing skills yet but to be told by a model (no one from this site i have to say) that she wont shoot with you cause "your work isnt professional and you dont have the skills" is just rude!!!!!!! i approched her and she agreed to shoot with me she wanted me to email her some of my work to see the style i use and she said that im really upset bout it has anyone eles amateur or pro out there had the same responce from a model or person in the industry cause i dont know im bothering

I've said it before and I'll say it here again - We all have to start somewhere!

Yes it hurts but as others have said you have to "roll with the punches" and strive to improve.

"Buddy-up" with a photographer whose work you like and who is willing to mentor you; seek-out group shoots (not everyone is in favour of these and they seem to be scarce at the moment) and practice, practice, practice.  Even if you have to press-gang the family dog

There is a wealth of "You-Tube" style tutorials on-line if you don't think you're ready to join a group-shoot.

Good luckcheeky

Ron

Qu is off-line
15 October 2013 16:08
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
London
London

I had plenty "no-reply" for TF and even paid job, yes some models even didn't reply to me when i offered to pay them for shoots (promised i didn't ask them above their level and offered to pay at their rate)! I even had some people laughing at my early work...some situations hurt, some are frustrating BUT don't give up. Hard wake up call I'm telling ya!!

Take it in the chin and improve, her words should become your motivation.
As said above we all start somewhere, learn more with tutorials, mistakes and try all sort experimentations. Shoot shoot shoot and have fun!
On the way you'll have more of those models and maybe togs too, few if not plenty no-shows, just stay put and think positive to move forward.

Good luck and keep it up

Strober is off-line
15 October 2013 18:24
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

To be perfect honestly with you all then perhaps the best model that I have ever worked with is this one

There reasons are A) Model is never late for a shoot B) Model never complains when I change / want to experiment with my lighting set ups, C) Never asks for monies and is always happy to work with me on TF etc... Again the above is the best Model that I have got on my books at the minute
www.strober.co.uk

15 October 2013 19:16
laylarc
Model

I laughed my butt off when I read this. I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt, but to be honest, I say the same thing (politely) to people that contact me for a shoot, if I know that they are going to make me look like a hippo.

16 October 2013 00:24
Lisaliz
Model

I think it's rude and unnecessary.
Amateur photography is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I'm happy to work with beginners. I can understand models who don't want to do this work, but why they are incapable of being pleasnt and polite never ceases to amaze me.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura QueenDeeVa01
anochecer bbphotos bradder chicimages david1500 dorrian Essexjohn GSC4X Hugh joolsy JRFox keltica lazeeboy Matt1988 monochromeset philippahh picusio Platidonio redbaron RoninUK rscott360 sultanrahi5566 Vltavakrtek whitepython