Paul is off-lineSilver Member
12 October 2013 08:19
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from speedway45
Tai Woffinden,new british world speedway champion. A true champion. What recognition does he get......nothing? Why....because he is not an over paid.......football player. Now let us review.....Tai....two broken collar bones,got back up and raced to glory. Any footballer.....scrape their nail varnish....and all hell let's loose.

He did very well. Interesting that Darcy Ward's average, if repeated throughout the season, would have given him the title by two points if he hadn't missed the middle of the season. All ifs and buts as Nige and Kelvin would say. 

Well done Tai.

Come on the Pirates for Monday, get the job done.

It was broken when I got here

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
12 October 2013 14:18
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from RedChecker
Didn't this discussion crop up a year or two ago?

Just like McCains are shouting about their chips on TV.

This fella is shouting about the chips on his shoulder smiley

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Steve is off-line
12 October 2013 14:34
womble
Photographer

Cambridgeshire
March

500cc, no brakes, fixed gearing, 0-60 in 2.4 seconds ..
Tai deserves more recognition, but we all know he won't get it, although being on BBC Breakfast was a start.

and for DorsetHammer, come on the Brummies.
i used to love riding at Poole when i did speedway, but a few of their supporters have totally turned me against

12 October 2013 17:15
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from speedway45
Tai Woffinden,new british world speedway champion.
A true champion.
What recognition does he get......nothing?
Why....because he is not an over paid.......football player.
Now let us review.....Tai....two broken collar bones,got back up and raced to glory.
Any footballer.....scrape their nail varnish....and all hell let's loose.

Speedway's a minority sport, always has been, always will be, deal with it.

Paul Hodson is off-line
13 October 2013 01:34
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from PaulManuell

Speedway's a minority sport, always has been, always will be, deal with it.

Not seen it for years - but it used to be on the televisual box every week once upon a time!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Mickey is off-line
13 October 2013 06:35
mikethefoto
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
mikethefoto
Worcestershire

Quote from Socialdisaster
Never heard of him, no idea what speedway is. Therefore he is not a true champion, he is a champion within his limited field. PS: I hate football, before you use that. PPS: your use of periods is awful.

You haven't heard of Speedway, therefore he is not a true champion.
I haven't heard of you but it doesn't mean you are not a photographer does it?
Not an American are you?

13 October 2013 08:49
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from mph
Not seen it for years - but it used to be on the televisual box every week once upon a time!

Well so did wrestling with those finely tuned athletes Giant Haystacks, Big Daddy et al, but that's a minority sport too (and I use the word sport in the loosest of loose terms). Being popular on tv doesn't make it mainstream.

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
13 October 2013 10:11
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Used to watch the Brandon Bees in Coventry many years ago, used to work with one of the riders Frank Smith. The stars of that era were Ole Olsen and Ivan Mauger. Good times.
How hard can it be?

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
13 October 2013 10:40
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from pompeytog
Used to watch the Brandon Bees in Coventry many years ago, used to work with one of the riders Frank Smith. The stars of that era were Ole Olsen and Ivan Mauger. Good times.

I was the accountant for one of England's team when they won the team World Cup in the same era. Nice guy, great speedway rider, hopeless at keeping records!

It was broken when I got here

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
13 October 2013 11:03
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

As a spectator sport, it is probably on a par with hockey, badminton and table tennis as far as media coverage goes. If it was more popular, then it would get a lot more media coverage. I believe interest in speedway must have declined a lot since the war. Far more people are interested in other types of motorcycle sport.

Still his girlfriend Faye could give a lot of footballer's WAGs a run for their money, so he is not missing out on all the perks of stardom.
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mandymack skykantara1
ad360photo chopper_images colinpierce Dalesdesigns djb1 firsttake oldbloke rscott360 Scotography SMILESPHOTO Sp_digital zzdigital