Reminder Secure

memory cards problem

07 September 2013 05:33
gedimage
Photographer

I shoot on cf cards and bought cf 2 when i originally bought the camera.
Thinking these could fail anytime i was out shopping and found a cf 1 card on the cheap having tried it a couple of times it doesnt seem to be compatible with my canon camera . Admittedly ive now stopped using it but id like to know what the difference is luckily i only seem to have list shots on a auto classic shoot zso wasnt connect with giving away

just puzzle as to why the difference only of the write speed

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
07 September 2013 05:47
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Given that you've not mentioned what your camera is, what your existing cards are or what the new card was no-one will be able to help with your question.

It's unlikely that your original card was CF2 unless you bought it over 5 years back - these were double thickness hard-drive cards that have been superceded by cheap flash memory.

Card space is now so cheap, it's foolish to take a risk buying cheap/no-name cards. Buy a decent fast reputable card (8GB Sandisk extreme is less than £25) and have done with it.

07 September 2013 07:03
gedimage
Photographer

You have come across my thinking but that is what has caused the problem

my camera is a d20 the original cards were lexar pro and yes purchased in 2006 and still working properly without fail

the card that is failing is a scandisk extreme purchased this jan gone. This is the one that is giving problems and certainly doesnt like cr2 files

i thought with the time lapse that the new card would be compatible but its not so now its only for transfering files not what i originally wanted it for

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 September 2013 09:47
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Some more modern memory cards utilise new protocols that older cameras simply do not understand and this may be the cause of the errors.

I have experienced this first hand with a 1DsII and a Sandisk Extreme Pro (SD) card I bought last year. The new card supports UHS-1 communication protocols yet the camera does not, ultimately what this meant was that the camera reverted to a basic compatibility mode when reading/writing and as such dropped the speed to 1x speeds (when it should have been something far higher like 66x). Cheaper (non UHS-1) SD cards work fine and are far quicker.

In the case of the D20 it may not support things like UDMA (and on Wikipedia they say it can only cope with 8GB formatting regardless of how much bigger the card is).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluelah DanielleWx Kacie NikkiLouise93 RoxyMendez Zadi
63jian dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 Dphphotography jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto johnnytog Keithhendy Ladiesman nickdandalos peteb Rhadamanthus Rupert Spiritofwales stevegosh Stoker thelook zprangz