Samantha Duell is off-line
03 September 2013 10:40
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
Cambridgeshire
whittlesey

hello fellow photo-holics
so ive been doing photography for 4yrs now and only joined purestorm a few months ago as bout 6months ago i started using models
most of my work in my portofolio is landscape as that is what i started with

i just want some of your thoughts please on how i can improve my art and really just general comments on my work
(please be kind lol)

Paul Smith is off-line
03 September 2013 15:38
Paul167
Photographer

Avon

Hi,
I’m a long way short of talented.........but as a simple critique.....
Images need a purpose; they should grip my emotions and guide me to your way of thinking.
Think about what it is you want to say through the media......from simply-gosh, she is pretty or what happened before or is going to happen next?
For starters I’d focus on the eyes and start to experiment with narrow depths of fields.
I’d invest in an 85-100mm (in 35mm terms) f1.4 or 50mm equivalent as it’s less costly.
Location photography is just that.......location (it’s all about shoe leather) average is simply not worth the effort: a location needs to be striking for the reason you want to suggest or amplify (usually).
Don’t be afraid to make a statement.......hard crop to make your point: better to be hated and loved than stay grey.
It’s worth emulating others work (to start with), the work that has influenced you, to get to grips with how the images were achieved and then compliment with your own interpretations.
Not sure if this helps but I mean it to.

Hugh Spence is off-line
04 September 2013 02:11
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

Improvements I would suggest:-
The main image has a lot of burnt out white and is otherwise very dark. When adjusting the levels it is generally a good idea to have only a couple of pixels of pure white unless you are going for an extreme high key effect with no dark colours.
As someone has already said, most of your pictures are shots of people who are just there.- no story coming from the picture to give it interest. Your main does have the model and the swan linked as they are looking at each other and I'd work on trying to get this into all your pictures.This one balances the light in the background against the model and is more like what (I think) you should aim for.

You like to apply a vignette to your pictures. While this can enhance, I don't think blurring the vignette as well works and I find your use can be a bit heavy handed sometimes. For things like that the general rule is - if it's the first thing you notice it is over-done.
You may benefit from going to a camera club and taking part in competitions. Judges are told to moderate the crticism, but growing a thick hide against the worst of their opinions may be useful. I think the nearest clubs to you are Peterborough and March.

Samantha Duell is off-line
06 October 2013 13:42
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
Cambridgeshire
whittlesey

thanks ive taken your opinions in board and tryied to add it to my work let me know what you think of some of me new stuff
thanks

Etho Aprilis is off-line
10 October 2013 03:19
EthoAprilis
Model
This member has been reset to pending

Pennsylvania
Media

I like your photography, you do have nice edits and a creative eye.

One thing i noticed is a lack of focus on a specific thing. What brought this to my attention was a reoccurring thing of yours, where in several pictures, the models face is either not visible or hardly visible, which that is fine, however i feel if you are going to do that you should REALLY put emphasis on something else.

The picture of the bride walking on the road, very pretty, has the sunlight hinted filter, but nothing really stands out.

The black & white with the car, again, the model is facing away, but nothing stands out. The building does the most justice but is the least focused thing in the photo. You could have say taken that exact situation and got down low and close to the model and given it a nice sharp angel of her and the car and i feel that coulda brought things out.

My favorite of yours, but what was the 1st pic i noticed this in, is the bride and swan, all around very beautiful photo, however the bride's face is barely visible, that makes my eyes search for something more to stand out, but nothing does, not because it's not beautiful, but the focus of beauty is pretty equal, the swan, the dress, the water, the necklace, any of those could have been emphasized more.

Again you are talented, keep up the good wok and good luck!

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
10 October 2013 11:43
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Outdoor model photos are difficult to get right a balance of light, composition exposure etc, As I'm sure you see your main picture is totally blown in the one key area a Bride would need it preserved! the dress, even a RAW file you'd struggle to pull the detail back,

The Cherry shots need mixing up! The up the nose first and skin highlight blown detract a little, I'd like to see her sitting, standing just mix it up, maybe no real need to devote a whole category to 1 model!

Cystal, pics too over stylised for me, heavy Vignetting into solid picture frames I find overbearing. The first looks too soft!

Jade, outdoor, way too strong a light source again blown highlights, messy background you could have lost the metal brackets near her left knee, a 50mm 1.4 wouldn't throw it out enough to make it better! Heavy
Vignetting again this time out of focus version, feather the edge at least! Dappled light not working on the face, again blown highlights, look for full shade where poss,

Lia, interesting model but lighting not great, back lighting under arch needs fill light to bring back model detail. crop on against wall bit harsh, might have looked better stepping back giving more context. Don't think the body part works, the church is too much, model car, model church, church car any combo maybe not all three, the black and white merging the 3 items where colour might have given separation?

Performance/stage. Its good you've got cover on the first but a short model is let down with your elevation, you are shooting too high and would do well getting lower to give her stature. Same with second, the effect losing detail, shot too high and a very busy background I think would work with a narrower depth of field. Lady 39 too much nostril, a tree growing from her head and too much weight on her left arm making it bulge out,
Blown highlights again on the wedding dress I'd have walk 50 feet up where there's possibly some shade, your own Vignetting cutting through the dress throwing it into a blur. If you are going to do it in loads of pics feather more 250 pix! The last one of the wedding pic is soft, you are too high, Vignetting again, if you do use it, it needs to be subtle!

I'd really suggest you push on and shoot as much portrait work as you can, use soft filtered sun light when possible, buy a flash and TTL cable, drop down a bit when shooting full on or half body, check focus, don't over stylise and build from there.

What Lens/set up are you working with at the present?

Dominic

Katie Soze is off-line
28 October 2013 16:54
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
South Yorkshire

I'd say work on the way you frame/crop things. The crops seem to be a bit awkward for me. Also, look out for blown highlights. Your models look really comfortable, a lot more comfortable than on most amateur modelling shots so that shows you have a skill for working with them.

Profile Pictures is off-line
28 October 2013 20:13
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

With the exception of the swan picture, there are some interesting things happening, but nothing looks really well executes. Lots if tweaks in all the area, with a positive exception that your models do indeed look comfortable working with you. Serious plus point there.

Drop all the filters and vignettes and just get something really clean and interesting at the point of capture, learn a little about processing the raw before you take it to photoshop too.

Top line pics of the red haired lady hint at something much more mature and positive, so if that's the most recent, you're going in a good direction I think. At four years in however, you need to be more aware of basic camera and editing skills than you've shown in some of the portfolio here.

ICONIC :P is off-line
29 October 2013 20:22
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

stop with all the photoshop crap - its like painting over black gloss with waterd down emulsion

Try lightening and contrast on some of your images instead of adding effects

try and add some depth to your images they look very flat at the minute mabee off camera flash or a bit of reflected light to make the subject stand seperate from the background

they also look dull and under exposed on my screen Try and shoot where there is more light or change your camera settings- dont forget not to judge exposure from the viewing screen as jpeg's change exposure when they show previews

some are very blurred if you cant get the shutter high enough to stop it then get a tripod this may help as the most noticable vibrations are at camera side model movements dont seem to effect the image as much as camera shake

try getting the background out of focus so the main jubject stands out better?

just a few things i notived hope this helps
pissing purestorm off since 2009

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
30 October 2013 05:14
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

I believe the OP might have left the building on this one.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin DanielleWxx ElleLaura Michelledefeo1 natalie120525 Sophiadelane
bbphotos bob chriscooze claypaws Dandelion david1500 dorrian Essexjohn frankpht gazzer59 Kjoservices mike0048 sandycamel two_stops
matt