Reminder Secure

prisoners ringing you for insurance purposes !

Andy is off-line
21 August 2013 10:25
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

I will start, if any of my insurers use prisoners i will immediately move to some who dont
firstly, I dont entertain sales calls that i do not make outwards, secondly i really dont care why they are in prison or if rehabilitated, they are there for a reason and third its cheap labour for those companies and loss of call centre jobs for non -offenders.

oh, almost forgot G4 are behind the security of it in some form......enough said !
lets get shootin

WESTEND PORTFOLIOS is off-linePlatinum Member
22 August 2013 04:18
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Photographer
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Glasgow
GLASGOW

to be honest I think this setup could actually be more safer than a phone call from India/Pakistan or any other country. Im sure security measures are involved here.

re: prisoners working.. only 1 place for them to work ..its called THE CHAIN GANG

David Price is off-line
22 August 2013 06:00
MoonlightModels
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
MoonlightModels
Greater Manchester
Leigh

Quote from WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
to be honest I think this setup could actually be more safer than a phone call from India/Pakistan or any other country. Im sure security measures are involved here.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this statement as it appears this is quite a common misconception by people in the UK. I work for a large UK ISP but i'm currently in India supporting one of our outsource partners. The security measures implemented here are far stricter than some of the ones implemented in our UK call centres.

I do however don't agree with prisoners doing this type of work.
David Price Photography Web: www.davidprice-photography.co.uk

22 August 2013 06:34
paule
Photographer

How about the fact that private companies are paying peanuts and so making more profit ( Gov mates award them the contracts.. nice little earner ) at the same time removing jobs for the unemployed.

If the company take prisoners on in these jobs they should be made to pay the full wage, even if that means the difference goes to charity. They should not be getting cheap labour to benefit their shareholder dividends.

Shawn Barker is off-line
22 August 2013 06:43
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Is it just me who hates direct unsolicited sales calls from numerous call centres? Despite being registered with TPS, most firms see moving call centres abroad as a way of circumnavigating the current UK laws on telesales. Maybe the company involved should be located inside the prison if they want to flout UK legislation.
I don't actually agree that any jobs should go to prisoners whilst there is such a large number of unemployed. If the jobs aren't suitable, then the employers need to look at their work conditions and pay rather than the government supporting such bad businesses with the offer of cheap labour.

Peter Hague is off-line
23 August 2013 05:10
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from MoonlightModels
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this statement as it appears this is quite a common misconception by people in the UK. I work for a large UK ISP but i'm currently in India supporting one of our outsource partners. The security measures implemented here are far stricter than some of the ones implemented in our UK call centres. I do however don't agree with prisoners doing this type of work.

So what is the legal situation regarding off shore call centres?

Do the have to abide by TPS regulations? (i know no-one bothers to, but in theory)

Are they subject to UK Data protrection and other applicable  *LAW*  (not company rules, actual law)
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

David Price is off-line
23 August 2013 05:32
MoonlightModels
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
MoonlightModels
Greater Manchester
Leigh

Quote from PeterH
So what is the legal situation regarding off shore call centres?

Do the have to abide by TPS regulations? (i know no-one bothers to, but in theory)

Are they subject to UK Data protrection and other applicable  *LAW*  (not company rules, actual law)

Yes they do because they are working on behalf of a UK based company.  For our company all outbound sales are done from the UK however our offshore partners in India and the Philippines have to abide by the same DPA rules/laws that our UK call centres do.

This should apply to any other outsource company however it depends on how strict the client (the UK based company) is in implementing it.
David Price Photography Web: www.davidprice-photography.co.uk

Alan Johnson is off-line
23 August 2013 05:49
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

SOME companies do trade legally, others do not.
I have lost count of the number of UK based companies whose employees claim that TPS has to be renewed every 6 months/year etc.

Outsourced companies very often have a high turnover of staff, there have been reports of staff leaving with contact information.

As the TPS, OFCOM and Information Commissioners Office rarely do anything to stop these calls, its best to take preventative action at a personal level to stop unwanted sales calls. BT are selling a range of phones that will stop International, Number Withheld and Number Not Available calls. I've been using one for several months now and the volume of unwanted calls has fallen by about 90%. I regularly clear the calls log and have had 18 calls stopped since Monday evening.

Admittedly there is the cost of buying the phone, but it has proved to be more than worthwhile for me and other friends and family.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura mandymack MissCaraJane
BrianE Dave@studio99 eosfan gerry99111 GSC4X PTw2018 splitsecondphotography1