What is the portfolio lacking?

Rob Morris Photography is off-line
16 August 2013 13:55
rob25881
Photographer
rob25881
West Midlands
Telford

I've wanted to refresh my portfolio on here for a while and have a number of shoots lined up in September to do just this, but I wanted to hear what other people feel is lacking in my portfolio or could be improved so I can spend some time trying to sort it.

Thanks.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Chrissie Red is off-line
16 August 2013 15:28
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Location shots - natural light?

17 August 2013 04:29
CYPhotographer
Photographer

Ditto above. Go back to basics with just a lens, a reflector and your 24-105 there.

Use your time with your model to look at some more hitting concepts opposed to the same old T&A in the studio which may be a safe fall back?

Don Butt is off-line
17 August 2013 07:35
djb1
Photographer

Kent
dartford

Nothing lacking in your portfolio, keep going with your studio work and ignore those critics whose idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch. Don (djb1)

17 August 2013 15:13
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from djb1
ignore those critics whose idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch.

They're not critics, they're only responding to his request to give their opinion on what's lacking in his profile.

Ratana Rose is off-line
17 August 2013 15:44
RattusRock
Model
RattusRock
County Durham
durham

over all I think your portfolio is fine but if you want to add some thing you currently dont showcase then:

outdoor - just to add a different skill

natural light - as above

lingerie - you list it but other than glamor which isn't really the same you dont show it

high fashion - your fashion is nice but its a bit more commercial-y (if that makes sense)

erotic or fetish - I only suggest because you list adult

alternative - you list Gothic yet show no alternative looking models

Chrissie Red is off-line
17 August 2013 17:39
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from djb1
Nothing lacking in your portfolio, keep going with your studio work and ignore those critics whose idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch. Don (djb1)

"Ignore the critics whos idea of creativity is to have a nude model wrapped around a tree branch"

Oh please (edit out swear word) off.

I wasn't suggesting he poses a model nude outside on a tree branch,  location work and natural light is the areas in which I think his portfolio is lacking. He asked the question and my response would be the same no matter what style of modelling I do. 

I would say a good location shot beats the Chrissie_Red is a naughty person "creatively" out of a boring old flatly lit  shot in front of a white background any day of the week. But what would I know, my idea of "creativity" is clearly wrong.

18 August 2013 05:23
CYPhotographer
Photographer

Quote from djb1

But isn't that the reason why he asked? Asking for a bit of variation? The thing with PS (and most forums) is that opinions whilst varied are from every angle.

I would challenge you to approach the likes of Sergey P Iron with your last statement regarding a model wrapped around a tree but that's MY opinion...

Chrissie is right... In ref to the OP's request, it is lacking in lots of areas which does take time to approach. Likewise is mine but you cant rule the world..Cant people be realistic in their answers anymore? I do however think that for everyone that gives advice, you should check the value of it based on their work content.

18 August 2013 08:42
barone
Photographer

"What is the portfolio lacking?".....

Daft question really....In order to decide on what's lacking, we first need to know what you want your portfolio to say about you....What's your end game?
Next Model Day...23rd March 2014...http://purpleport.com/portfolio/angie...Interested?...Ask me for details.

Rob Morris Photography is off-line
19 August 2013 15:16
rob25881
Photographer
rob25881
West Midlands
Telford

Ideally I'd like the portfolio to show an ability to shoot good quality photos across a variety of genres.

In many ways I'm guilty of what has been mentioned before on here of sticking to what I know as it is a safe fall back and to a certain degree feel as though some of the shoots are getting a bit repetitive in their nature lately.

I want to try different ideas but am also worried that despite the outlay on the model, studio, equipment etc that alls I will end up with is...crap.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AliceStar modelstuff Shsksjsns
Auctioneer PototoMonroe rscott360 Vinceb