Negative Replies

Seventy Percent Curves is off-line
11 August 2013 12:42
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrence
Hampshire
Farnborough

Just to say: models, especially new ones, often reply to messages only when they have something negative to say. A single example - I replied to a casting for shooting with a model who lived in one place but wished to shoot in another. I slipped up by failing to notice the shoot location and got a message from the model telling me so. I just have an intuition, in this example, that had I got the location right, I wouldn’t have had a reply.
Bit paranoid? Maybe. Maybe also, my offer was not attractive enough and it was an excuse. But I don’t think so, not when there are many other examples, that distill on thinking about it.
Does anyone else have any?

Frank Sinnott is off-line
11 August 2013 13:56
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

No point in worrying about it best move on.

12 August 2013 17:25
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from CliveLawrence
.....that distill on thinking about it.

Eh, you what?

Mike Blissett is off-line
02 September 2013 06:24
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

Quote from CliveLawrence
Just to say: models, especially new ones, often reply to messages only when they have something negative to say. A single example - I replied to a casting for shooting with a model who lived in one place but wished to shoot in another. I slipped up by failing to notice the shoot location and got a message from the model telling me so. I just have an intuition, in this example, that had I got the location right, I wouldn’t have had a reply.
Bit paranoid? Maybe. Maybe also, my offer was not attractive enough and it was an excuse. But I don’t think so, not when there are many other examples, that distill on thinking about it.
Does anyone else have any?

It's the way people are these days... insecure and no manners. It costs nothing to say thanks but no thanks..
Move on and leave them to work way why.

02 September 2013 06:59
PaulManuell
Photographer

Not so much negative replies in my case as no replies. I've emailed 3 different models in the last week; all were opened, none were replied to. I realise my photography's not going to set the world alight, but even a, 'Thanks but no thanks,' (and maybe a brief reason) would've been nice. It's not even as if I was only offering TFP/CD, it clearly says on my profile I'm willing to pay.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
02 September 2013 08:04
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

"Thanks but no thanks" might be the end of it in your world, but often Models find they get drawn into more conversation about "why not" they can find themselves no better off for saying no thank you, so to to ignore is just as easy/sensible.

Sometimes I do wonder if we forget this is very much part of the commercial world, ever tried to engage with a plumber, some don't ring you back, some do but don't then follow up. some follow up, start but go off to other jobs, some start but never finish, some finish but don't do what they said they would, some are so bad you have to get another one to finish what they started, etc. etc. but there's no forum to moan about it and this is a world where money is the only transaction, no I'll work for you for the reference and kudos and love of what I do!

and electricians..........................

02 September 2013 09:26
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

Quote from dominicdgt
"Thanks but no thanks" might be the end of it in your world, but often Models find they get drawn into more conversation about "why not" they can find themselves no better off for saying no thank you, so to to ignore is just as easy/sensible.

Sometimes I do wonder if we forget this is very much part of the commercial world, ever tried to engage with a plumber, some don't ring you back, some do but don't then follow up. some follow up, start but go off to other jobs, some start but never finish, some finish but don't do what they said they would, some are so bad you have to get another one to finish what they started, etc. etc. but there's no forum to moan about it and this is a world where money is the only transaction, no I'll work for you for the reference and kudos and love of what I do!

and electricians..........................

Perfect answer as we can now associate ourselves with plumbers and electricians.

Loads of money, they think of a number and double it and then cry as your a mate I'll knock off 15% for cash and we can forget the VAT..I've heard that so many times and then so have we all. We also then have to remember we do have an excellent plumbing and electrical industry who do work by the book, do return phone calls, turn up on time an do the job they were booked for.

Now given a choice of the two what group are you most associated with?

Some if not all never forget we are in a professional world where manners are everything. If models and photographers can't be troubled to act in this way then it's right to ask why are they here?

This problem of communication has been mentioned so many times on here it's unbelievable - some of us set standards and show respect while others don't and that's the problem.

Neil Anderson is off-line
02 September 2013 10:28
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from MikeBee

Perfect answer as we can now associate ourselves with plumbers and electricians.

Loads of money, they think of a number and double it and then cry as your a mate I'll knock off 15% for cash and we can forget the VAT..I've heard that so many times and then so have we all. We also then have to remember we do have an excellent plumbing and electrical industry who do work by the book, do return phone calls, turn up on time an do the job they were booked for.

Now given a choice of the two what group are you most associated with?

Some if not all never forget we are in a professional world where manners are everything. If models and photographers can't be troubled to act in this way then it's right to ask why are they here?

This problem of communication has been mentioned so many times on here it's unbelievable - some of us set standards and show respect while others don't and that's the problem.

At the end of the day most people on this site are not professionals, even most of the professional photographers on here are not making their living from photographing models.
Some old men with a camera have unrealistic expectations of the reliability of young(ish) girls, that is the problem.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
02 September 2013 11:12
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from MikeBee

But I've read messages from photographers on here, many! The weird, sleazy disrespectful aggressive and inappropriate trash that's sent out by some photographers is one of the reasons why models wont bother replying even to say no because far from stopping the flow it opens up more communication, so its a no win situ. As i say this is very common feature to a lot trades and businesses (the non reply) the sleazy more likely remains Purestorms own unique culture?

02 September 2013 11:19
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

Quote from stolenfaces

At the end of the day most people on this site are not professionals, even most of the professional photographers on here are not making their living from photographing models.
Some old men with a camera have unrealistic expectations of the reliability of young(ish) girls, that is the problem.

Excellent and so much truth in what you say but I would never say unrealistic!

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
csk_photography Studio1