7D written off...

Andy is off-line
08 August 2013 16:58
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

if anyone wants silica gel moisture bags to draw the dampness from bags, equipment etc i have access to hundreds !
pm me and then send a stamped addressed envelope with sufficient postage and you can have some
lets get shootin

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
11 August 2013 12:22
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

i'm really sorry to hear about the internal corrosion to your camera
causing it to be a write-off.

rise above the thought of a potential fraudulent insurance claim
or advertising it without full disclosure as that will certainly
return to bite you one way or another.

11 August 2013 13:08
Thatphotographerguy
Photographer

It's apparently a design fault with the 7D. Having a full metal body means it is more susptable to condensation, and the internal mechanisms aren't protected against damp as you would expect them to be. You may struggle to get a new one through insurance. This is why I sold mine, got good money for it before it bolloxed up on me.

Anthonygh is off-line
12 August 2013 06:21
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

If this camera is used in a professional capacity with proper tax returns sent each year etc then it could be a write off for tax purposes. Or if deciding to become pro. anytime soon....put it down (at normal market value) as part of your capital equipment..that way you can claim depreciation to reduce potential tax liability....either from your business earnings, or any other earned income.

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
14 August 2013 13:36
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Thanks for all the info and opinions, appreciated, camera arrived back with images of said internal corrosion, however, not sure what they did do to it, but apart from the flash not popping up which I am not bothered about too much as I use externals, all seems to be working ok, I shot some sports at the weekend and the quality or performance has not dimished. However I know its on death row not knowing when and where it will decide to give up the ghost, all I will do is keep it warm and dry, wrap it in cotton wool and keep it going as long as possible.

Soooooo whether to get another 7D ? or been reading up on the 6D, sound impressive especially the image quality and low light performance, I know of the basic differences between the two full frame and fps difference, I also have a 5D so aware of full frame capabilities, but I am not shooting so much sports so thought 6D might be a better replacement for my needs.

Any thoughts from any of you out there with the 6D or even better anyone with a 7D and a 6D ?

Cheers

Graham
'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

Allan Marshall is off-line
14 August 2013 14:02
raven60
Photographer
raven60
Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Quote from smooth_image
Sent my 7D (about 4 years old) away last week as I had started getting wierd problems with the model dial, example M was set on bulb on exposure, Av even with a 2.8 lens set on Av at 2.8 would change aperture as you panned around the room in different light... not good, quoted full service and parts if any needed tops 180...call today, sending camera back as apparent corrosion inside makes it an uneconomic repair...stunned !

Awaiting camera back to see exactly what is what but how does something like this stand under insurance which hopefully is the next step as I didnt think this would be happening, I did take it to everest base camp in march but it worked beautifully and has since !!

any thoughts ?

Cheers

Graham

Where did you take it to for repair. Have you tried to contact Canon see what they say.

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
14 August 2013 14:23
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Sent it to H Lehmans, I wouldnt think Canon would go against an authorised Service agent to be honest, its considered uneconomic to repair, its just how long does it have left really

'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

SPP is off-lineSilver Member
25 August 2013 16:03
SPP
Photographer

Essex
Colchester

My 7D didnt even make it to being a year old before it died, took it to Colchester Camera Repair and Canon warranty paid for new main board. The report said that there were signs of corrosion on the main board as if it had been in water but there were no other signs of water damage, so they paid out.

Chaz is off-line
09 September 2013 06:41
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
Devon
Cullompton

Are you a CPS member? I send mine Canon stuff in to
Unit 130 Centennial Avenue
Centennial Park
Elstree
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE
I get a fixed price no matter what is wrong.

www.jonathantennantphotography.co.uk is off-lineSilver Member
11 September 2013 06:41
jonathantennant
Photographer

Surrey
chertsey

Quote from MG
To be honest if you listed it on eBay as sometimes faulty and list the problem (without telling everyone about your trip to Everest) then you'd be amazed at what it sold for on there. I reckon it would sell for current used price minus £200 - £250 which really wouldn't be a bad result at all. Considering most insurance excesses are £150 to £200 then the experience need not cost you dearly at all.

That's what I did with my 7d. I sent it. To two repair companies both said beyond economic repair ( one quoted £1300 ) . I got it back and listed on eBay with the details and it was sold for £350.
For sport I think the 7d is better then the 6d but for weddings, portraits, work, and the fact it's got wifi I would go for the 6d

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura mandymack MissCaraJane
BrianE Dave@studio99 eosfan GSC4X PTw2018 rscott360 splitsecondphotography1