7D written off...

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
07 August 2013 12:16
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Sent my 7D (about 4 years old) away last week as I had started getting wierd problems with the model dial, example M was set on bulb on exposure, Av even with a 2.8 lens set on Av at 2.8 would change aperture as you panned around the room in different light... not good, quoted full service and parts if any needed tops 180...call today, sending camera back as apparent corrosion inside makes it an uneconomic repair...stunned !

Awaiting camera back to see exactly what is what but how does something like this stand under insurance which hopefully is the next step as I didnt think this would be happening, I did take it to everest base camp in march but it worked beautifully and has since !!

any thoughts ?

Cheers

Graham
'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

Mickey is off-line
07 August 2013 14:39
mikethefoto
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
mikethefoto
Worcestershire

If you are insured with Towergate shouldn't be a problem, cannot vouch for the others though.

Had two big claims in the past 16 years, not a quibble & very quick to pay.

Andy is off-line
07 August 2013 15:21
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Condensation ? especially the climate you were in
lets get shootin

07 August 2013 19:40
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from smooth_image
Sent my 7D (about 4 years old) away last week....... sending camera back as apparent corrosion inside makes it an uneconomic repair....... I did take it to everest base camp in march......
any thoughts ?

Yeah, it's f***ed

Matthew G is off-line
07 August 2013 19:40
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I'm not an insurer but my opinion is you may struggle with insurance as it generally has to be a sudden and unforeseen breakage rather than just wear and tear which it sounds like yours is. I think you possibly took it and used it outside of its operating temperature zones. Just my opinion, that's all....

Paul Hodson is off-line
08 August 2013 00:42
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Not a chance in my view I fear.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
08 August 2013 01:13
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Result: Its *****d and insurance are putting it down to wear and tear, however had i dropped it or left it on a train that would be a different matter (their words) and it would be covered. So much for being honest huh !

'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

Anthonygh is off-line
08 August 2013 06:12
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Cameras are normally insured against theft or accident and this doesn't seem to be either...as you said...you could have 'lost' it and claimed...but that would be fraud in that it wasn't what happened to it.

Had the insurance company paid out on such a claim it would have meant all the other policy holders were contributing to cover the fraud...as the money has to come from somewhere. But as you were honest you at least have a clear consciences!

Unlike all those that haven't who are causing premiums to be much higher than they need be....

Matthew G is off-line
08 August 2013 06:26
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

To be honest if you listed it on eBay as sometimes faulty and list the problem (without telling everyone about your trip to Everest) then you'd be amazed at what it sold for on there. I reckon it would sell for current used price minus £200 - £250 which really wouldn't be a bad result at all. Considering most insurance excesses are £150 to £200 then the experience need not cost you dearly at all.

OldMaster is off-line
08 August 2013 06:37
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I doubt you are covered for this. Certainly if you are with Photoguard I would suggest not a glimmer of a hope. I would venture to suggest it might stand more chance if it were accidentally dropped and so beyond economic repair? Alternatively, if the body is weather sealed like some Nikons you could try talking to Canon about it. It does highlight how just the elements can wreck a precision device if it is not cared for in extreme conditions...kept in protected case when not in use, plenty of silica gel packs and never leave the lens or body caps off. ..?

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Argentiq Dphphotography FirstLifePhotography George99 keltica martinchristie photostevo redtail Ross85 scottmcccxiv Thunder_Photos TinDolls