Reminder Secure

People who contact you to photograph them ...

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Ian Scales is off-lineSilver Member
06 August 2013 08:47
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
Northamptonshire
Kettering

People who contact you to photograph them with one sentence. When you reply, you never hear back.

Does this happen to anyone else - you get contacted with a one sentence interest statement like:

"Definitely interested in doing a shoot with you". Then when you reply, you never hear anything again. I also have had women write to me saying their boyfriends are  up for a shoot. Again, when you reply there is nothing. I can understand some people may change their minds, but it always sets off alarm signals in my head, particularly when there is a very brief request.

The only thing I don't get is why would people do that. What possible IanScales is a naughty person could it be and what reasons? 

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 August 2013 09:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

They're expecting you to reply saying that you're going to throw them several thousand £ in cash for a couple of hours work and that you'll get them published in all the glossies.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
06 August 2013 09:46
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Yes indeed happens occasionally. Can be puzzling at first . Same thing happens to models as well.

06 August 2013 10:37
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
Northamptonshire
Kettering

Ha ha - but it's just odd. Maybe it's time wasters or people who do it when drunk or something

BirminghamTog is off-line
06 August 2013 10:54
JBC
Photographer
JBC
Birmingham

There are plenty of them about ! I'm thinking about not replying,
but maybe I'm too nice...

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
06 August 2013 12:05
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

Yes had this a few times. Think it's a lack of confidence and /or they've had a few

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
06 August 2013 12:22
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from JBC
There are plenty of them about ! I'm thinking about not replying,
but maybe I'm too nice...

Could be why your response rate is only 64% though, possibly worth a thanks but no thanks!

Brian Selway is off-line
06 August 2013 18:18
BrianSelway
Photographer

Leicestershire
Leicester

Happens a lot on here. Or a model will talk keenly about doing a shoot, then suddenly stop replying, and never log on again. As they don't tend to show in the obituaries, I think it's usually a confidence thing.

06 August 2013 20:25
Tansy_Blue
Model

Get it a lot as a model - it's a bit irritating but not worth getting upset over.

The only one that did really bother me was a studio that emailed about a tuition day on a particular date. I replied saying yes I'm available, your rate is acceptable, I can be there at the specified time, can you please confirm and what do I need to bring?

No response...set another email...no response...called the studio...voicemail, no call back...set a final email saying "I'm assuming it isn't happening then"...no response to that either. :P

It was frustrating because I didn't know whether or not to keep the date free - it seemed like a pretty serious inquiry at first and I didn't want to accidentally double book myself.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

07 August 2013 01:06
IanScales
Photographer
IanScales
Northamptonshire
Kettering

Quote from dominicdgt
Could be why your response rate is only 64% though, possibly worth a thanks but no thanks!

Interesting - 64%? Does that mean because of my response to their messages? Because I don't believe I have EVER not responded to someone messaging, even if it is to decline a shoot. I do remember someone saying they messaged me when they turned up and I they said I hadn't didn't replied. Even though I checked through and had no record of the specific message they said they had sent (I presumed they weren't being exactly honest)

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
NicolaWilks90
csk_photography FirstLifePhotography George99 photofrank Pictureimage redtail