This thread is being watched by 1 person
Bryony Edwards is off-lineSilver Member
07 July 2013 17:04
bryonyphotography
Photographer
bryonyphotography
Derbyshire
Mansfield

I think that there is a big difference between negative space and dead space.
Negative space should add something to the image, dead space just happens to be there.
Saying this, I often have to leave 'dead' space in my work, because I know at some point writing will be placed there, so even that has its uses. It just depends on the context.

Mark Scholey is off-line
11 July 2013 16:25
markscholey
Photographer
markscholey
Greater Manchester

As has had been said before 'negative space' technically refers to space that creates a form and is often seen in logo design, such as the arrow in the Fed Ex logo.  White space/clear space is probably a more correct term (certainly from design jargon) for the use of space around a subject allowing it to breathe.

I'm a designer and I love space around subjects, especially portraits. I often find some photographers obsess on tight compositions, such as portraits having to be (and for some can only be) tight headshots, which is sad. I think it stems from the past when you had to to maximise your use of a frame with 35mm, as compared with say medium format or large format film, where you will often see much more thoughtful and articulate use of space as part of a composition.

Almost always give me space, give a subject room to breathe and express, even when there is nothing in that space:

What you leave out is as important as what you include, just remember to pay as much attention to the space you create it desrves being considered and thought about as much as the rest of your composition.

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
12 July 2013 17:35
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from markscholey
As has had been said before 'negative space' technically refers to space that creates a form and is often seen in logo design, such as the arrow in the Fed Ex logo.  White space/clear space is probably a more correct term (certainly from design jargon) for the use of space around a subject allowing it to breathe.

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag concerning the Fed Ex 'arrow'.........not sure if it's known outwith the logistics and design industries. 

I'm a fan of empty space

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Spike is off-line
14 July 2013 06:32
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Maybe it should be thought of as "positive" space if it ads to the image.
Reading the thread reminded me of this add which worked wonders for TR7 sales at the time

"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE alishaa ElleLaura kategrimsby
antoinewynn antonart bluesden bobmac ChrisNewton david1500 djb1 donaldmac dorrian dougharding geoffmarchant hylander iestyn Jpdo Kjoservices Ladiesman lprphotos markeos50d MIB nik300 redbaron streetmodel tonycsm