Reminder Secure

Canon 70D AF ability

Simon Chan is off-line
03 July 2013 05:10
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

For the first time AF for dSLR video actually looks promising, at least from this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0BBNr6Epk

Matthew G is off-line
03 July 2013 05:51
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

This presumably is not the same autofocus system as the 5DIII or anything else in the Canon range? Unbelievably impressed! Not quite so impressed with the price tag :-( What price did the 60D start out at? Was it not around £750? Just a guess

Simon Chan is off-line
03 July 2013 07:03
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

It is Canon's all new "Dual Pixel CMOS AF" which benefit live view and video.
The service of a "focus puller" in low cost filmmaking may soon be under threat.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 July 2013 07:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Chandos
It is Canon's all new "Dual Pixel CMOS AF" which benefit live view and video. The service of a "focus puller" in low cost filmmaking may soon be under threat.

In low cost filmmaking do you actually use focus pullers?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Chan is off-line
03 July 2013 09:56
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
In low cost filmmaking do you actually use focus pullers?

Of course. It still cost money if one charges.
Unless it is free then you might not need one.

03 July 2013 10:08
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Chandos
Of course. It still cost money if one charges. Unless it is free then you might not need one.

I'm just thinking that the only reason to need a focus puller for filming is due to the size of the camera meaning it's not doable for one person.  For small productions using DSLRs it would seem strange (to me) to employ someone just for focussing.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Chan is off-line
03 July 2013 10:12
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
I'm just thinking that the only reason to need a focus puller for filming is due to the size of the camera meaning it's not doable for one person.  For small productions using DSLRs it would seem strange (to me) to employ someone just for focussing.

Ahhh, you need to be submerged to filmmaking geekdom to appreciate. I use to think the same but focus puller is really handy especially for large dSLR sensor.
I've often see a team of people working with a 60D. Not uncommon.

03 July 2013 10:39
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Chandos
Ahhh, you need to be submerged to filmmaking geekdom to appreciate. I use to think the same but focus puller is really handy especially for large dSLR sensor. I've often see a team of people working with a 60D. Not uncommon.

It depends on what you call a small production, I wouldn't call having a team of people around a camera a small production.

Simon Chan is off-line
03 July 2013 12:30
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
It depends on what you call a small production, I wouldn't call having a team of people around a camera a small production.

Where did I say a team of people a small production

Look, if you employ a focus puller it going to cost money which add to the overall cost to the production, unless he/she is giving their time for free which is highly unlikely when it involves payments.
If the budget are comfortably high and you don't mind sharing the cost with a focus puller then by all means hire one.
My reference about low cost production, while don't contain any figure is dependent on the individual. I think all videographers will have their own ball park figure on different level of production costs and whether they wish to include someone else to assist him and share the profit.
Red, seems point scoring with triviality is your favourite pastime here

Matthew G is off-line
03 July 2013 18:19
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Mr Reds job on here is to disagree and question the post above. Its nothing personal, it just keeps him employed to make Purestorm popular in the search engines by commenting on the majority of posts about any subject at all. It says on the profile that he's giving shoots a rest until 2013... This was to enable him to spend more time pursuing the career of serial forum poster :-)

Before Mr Red knocks this post down too... don't worry, in real life I'm sure we'd all like you :-) It's just on here that your posts are a tiny weeny weeny bit annoying but its all good fun.

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs Hann
duncanjames nickdandalos PDCPhotos Thunder_Photos TimatAwe