Douglas Mac is off-lineSilver Member
25 June 2013 18:50
Madisonbass
Photographer
Madisonbass
Dumfries and Galloway
Glasgow

Spyder Screen Calibrator wanted ....

need to buy a screen calibraotor... any one selling one or have any advice about these \??

Thanks

Dougie
All the World is a Stage... xxx

Pixel Sensation is off-line
25 June 2013 19:06
Pixel_Sensation
Photographer
Pixel_Sensation
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham/Grantham

Ive got a spyder 2 if interested.

26 June 2013 06:46
Framesphotography
Photographer

Hi, I need to upgrade to the dual monitor version, so my Spyder 3 Express is up for grabs, if you're interested drop me a message. It's boxed and in vgc.

Craig Stevens is off-line
26 June 2013 14:25
cstevens
Photographer
cstevens
Nottinghamshire
Worksop/Sheffield/Lincoln and surrounding areas

Damm, just sold my Spyder 2

27 June 2013 05:08
Ash_G
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending

Remember that for Spyder Pro or Elite to work correctly on a dual monitor set-up each screen must run off its own graphics card unless your card can store and manage two calibration profiles.

27 June 2013 16:09
Framesphotography
Photographer

Hi ash, thanks for your post.  I'm running a geforce gtx660 ti - single graphics card running both monitors.
It allows seperate profiling of each monitor through the Windows 8 colour calibration so I assume (hopefully correctly) it will also support this on Spyder?

29 June 2013 13:51
Ash_G
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending

I'm not sure if that will work - I have two GTX 660s in my computer so I can have both monitors using the HDMI outputs. I'm pretty sure the cards (individually) won't hold two Spyder profiles. But I'm by no means a techie, so this is probably something that Nvidia and/or Spyder would have to answer for you.

19 July 2013 16:35
Framesphotography
Photographer

In case anyone should check through this thread in the future, Ash is correct, one card (or the card that I have, see above) will not hold two profiles, even though one card can drive 2 monitors.
The calibration tool will recognise that you have two displays that need calibrating, but when it tries to calibrate the secondary display, the adjustments are made to the primary display.

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
25 May 2014 12:02
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I splashed out on a spider 4 pro to solve my monitor calibration problems. Unfortunately it does not seem to be on the same wavelength as my editing software which I have also calibrated. With images looking slightly different on both, which one is correct? My computer monitor which has been calibrated using spider 4 pro, or my editing software Corel paint shop pro 5?

Any help from you technical wizards would be much appreciated.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Claypaws is onlineGold Member
25 May 2014 12:50
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Ok, here is the slightly technical answer. Many people call the process that is carried out with a Spyder etc "calibration". This leads to a lot of disappointment and confusion.

The full terminology is "calibration and profiling". The process of calibration examines the response of the uncalibrated monitor to known colours by measuring the display with a device such as a Spyder. The software then calculates what changes are needed to get the display as close to correct as possible. It stores these changes in files which are loaded into the graphics card's lookup tables when the computer starts. The tables are used to adjust the displayed colours as far as possible. This part of the process is called calibration.

The other and very important part is profiling. Once the display is calibrated, it is still not at all accurate because there are things that lookup tables cannot achieve. The calibration and profiling software therefore generates a "Profile" of the calibrated monitor. In somewhat non-technical language, this profile represents how incorrectly the calibrated monitor displays colour. The profile contains information that cannot be applied by lookup tables. This information can only be applied by colour-managed software such as Photoshop, Corel etc.

When you display your images on the calibrated monitor using colour managed Corel, the information held in the profile is applied to the already calibrated monitor.

Non-colour managed applications do not apply the profile and what you see is the result of calibration alone. With colour managed software, you see the reult of calibration and profiling.

In slightly more technical form, the reason for the difference is that lookup tables apply to each of the three individual colour channels in isolation and cannot "mix" colours, e.g by adding a bit of blue to red. Profiles, on the other hand, can mix the three colours in a manner which is implemented only in colour-managed applications.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE Alicestar AriaRosee ElleLaura Hayleyrooney jodieellen Pebbles40 Stephieb27
antoinewynn Auctioneer ChrisNewton claypaws dorrian frankpht Funder005 Jamesrichards Jaywirksworth JohnDentonPhoto khan1984 mlp parafotos philippahh redmedia Rhadamanthus
Discretion