Reminder Secure

Good News for Film Users!!

Anthonygh is off-line
30 May 2013 08:12
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I have just read in the BJP that Kodak is to be bought out by pensioners.....more exactly, the members of the company pension scheme both retired and currently still working for Kodak.

The articles also states there are no plans to drop any current products....and this might surprise some...the film division is and has been very profitable, and in fact there were several companies bidding to buy that division as a going concern.

What makes me curious is how Kodak manages to produce and sell film and chemicals that are cheaper  in the UK than the equivalent products from Ilford.

Another interesting read...the BJP looked at the issue of creativity (declining that is) and age.....with some interesting interviews with photographers up to the age of 100 (he's probably the right age for PS then.....surprise)

Paul Jones is off-line
30 May 2013 08:26
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Link -  http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2264911/kodak-divests-film-business-sells-it-to-its-uk-pension-plan

Kodak expects the deal will enable Kodak's film business to strive. "The members of the KPP are both former and current Kodak employees, and so under their ownership, we have their commitment to the legacy and history of Kodak," says Quatela. "We have a financially stable owner that is very much committed to investing in our success."

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

30 May 2013 08:39
RobinCaddy
Photographer

What makes me curious is how Kodak manages to produce and sell film and chemicals that are cheaper in the UK than the equivalent products from Ilford

I guess it's good old economies of scale. I wouldnt know anything about what the figures may be but if globally Kodak produced even 10 times as much film as Ilford then it figures that they might be able to do it more cheaply. How the price of silver affects these things serves simply to make me less clear about anything

Still, I agree that it's very good news.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
30 May 2013 09:17
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I used to work in the chemical industry and I doubt if either Kodak or Ilford 'make' their own, my thoughts are it is much more likely badged and sold, it's even possible both company's stuff come from the same factory.

Neil Anderson is off-line
30 May 2013 10:46
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from magpie1
I used to work in the chemical industry and I doubt if either Kodak or Ilford 'make' their own, my thoughts are it is much more likely badged and sold, it's even possible both company's stuff come from the same factory.

I think you will find that Ilford film products are manufactured in Cheshire UK, and Kodak in Rochester NY, with Kodak paper made in Harrow.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
30 May 2013 11:07
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

As I introduced my comments with reference to the chemical industry I assumed they would be perceived as only referring to chemistry rather than the entire product range.

J K is off-line
30 May 2013 16:36
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHopper
Tyne and Wear
newcastle upon tyne

Probs down to the price of silver and more likely the profit margines

Matthew G is off-line
30 May 2013 18:03
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I wonder if they'll be reinventing that first full frame digital SLR Camera that they bought out again? Hats off to them for having the idea of full frame but probably the worst financial move they ever made!

Cakemix is off-line
31 May 2013 14:38
LauraLily
Photographer
LauraLily
West Midlands
Birmingham

This is very good news. Polaroid next please!

Paul Cox is off-line
31 May 2013 15:42
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Quote from LauraLily
This is very good news. Polaroid next please!

The impossible project already bought the remaining plant capable of manufacturing this type of film.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jonnywoo Njsphotography