Interesting article regarding 3rd party firmware

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 May 2013 02:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

http://www.diyphotography.net/dear-canonnikonpanasonic-can-i-use-custom-firmware-my-camera
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 May 2013 03:00
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Go Canon!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

EdT is off-line
28 May 2013 04:07
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Surely, what Canon says is pretty much common sense. Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought that if one of the buttons failed or the camera failed for some reason that couldn't possibly be linked to the firmware, then you are still covered by your statutary rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

Just not sure how long the "you can expect it to remain fit for purpose" is supposed to last when compared to a fixed length warranty.

Neil Anderson is off-line
28 May 2013 05:06
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

In reality it doesn't make any difference what they say.
If it turns into a brick you're stuffed.
If it doesn't, the first thing you do when there appears to be a problem is put the original firmware back and (assuming that that doesn't fix the problem) get it fixed under warranty.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 May 2013 05:45
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from EdT
Surely, what Canon says is pretty much common sense. Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought that if one of the buttons failed or the camera failed for some reason that couldn't possibly be linked to the firmware, then you are still covered by your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act. Just not sure how long the "you can expect it to remain fit for purpose" is supposed to last when compared to a fixed length warranty.

Yes - but those statutory rights are against the retailer whereas a guarantee from the manufacturer is quite different.

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 May 2013 05:45
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces
In reality it doesn't make any difference what they say. If it turns into a brick you're stuffed. If it doesn't, the first thing you do when there appears to be a problem is put the original firmware back and (assuming that that doesn't fix the problem) get it fixed under warranty.

Unless the "brick" won't turn on!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 May 2013 05:50
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from mph

There's always the chance that they can detect if the firmware has been reflashed also.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
28 May 2013 05:54
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from mph

??? As I said 'If it turns into a brick you're stuffed.'
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 May 2013 06:12
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces
??? As I said 'If it turns into a brick you're stuffed.'

Oops!

Anthonygh is off-line
28 May 2013 06:28
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

My understanding from a lot of discussions on Yank web sites is that ML merely runs a secondary program in a Canon...so in effect it is like running Word on a PC....log out of Word ( or uninstall it) and it makes no difference to the Windows OS.

It also seems to be the case that the manufacturer has to demonstrate that a fault is down to 3rd party software before they can disclaim responsibility...not do so merely because 3rd party software is detected. The problem of course is that if a manufacturer claims it is the software, the customer has to get expert evidence to demonstrate it is not.

In the UK, for retail customers, responsibility for defective items is 100% with the retailer.....and the Sale of Goods Act isn't 'limited' to a 12 month period. A manufacturer's or retailer's guarantee may promise additional benefits for a limited time (usually 12 months).....but can't promise less than the Act provides or limit the period that the Act covers...which can be up to six years in some circumstances.

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
kelleanne sehrishkhan
Dphphotography fineartbysimon keltica Redbaron skinz snapcandy southernsnapper stevegosh Thunder_Photos