CGW is off-line
18 May 2013 01:30
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from MG

If you like the idea then go for it but if you don't then don't! Personally, if i wanted to shoot the model with the casting call i'd offer her the lower amount for payment on the day. If she felt like accepting then she would and we'd both be happy.... however, thats just me being a bit cheeky :-)

And if for some reason you couldn't make it on the day, would you still pay the lower fee?

just asking

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
18 May 2013 04:14
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from SuzyMonty
One photographer told me he actually pre-paid a model's air fare to fly out to him for a shoot...

I've done this four times now - and I'm only a amateur who does a few shoots a year.
I'm selective who I shoot with.
Never had a problem.

It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
18 May 2013 04:19
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Is this not the same as photographers asking for a deposit/ payment in advance.

I have paid in advance for studio days and Courses.

However I am not sure that I would pay in advance for a model. Unless I had worked with the model before and trusted them.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Gerry is off-line
18 May 2013 04:38
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
However I am not sure that I would pay in advance for a model. Unless I had worked with the model before and trusted them.

If you trusted them, the chances are they would trust you and know you would turn up and also pay on the day and then not need to offer the cash up front reduction.

To me its a clever idea to offer something positive to those that insist on booking models as a once off and to give them an incentive to be reliable.

For me, I would be rather viewed as a totally reliable and rewarding photographer to have a shoot with and get the best deal for that rather than because I had to pay cash in advance.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
18 May 2013 04:55
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

So Gerry would you pay the full amount up front in this situation?

It's a clever idea that I'll think about. Once I had a half day shoot and didn't get paid, let alone the cancellations.

Gerry is off-line
18 May 2013 05:26
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

As I said Jen, I would rather be viewed as a completely reliable and rewarding photographer based on my reputation and portfolio and be offered a good deal for that. I tend not to do one off bookings but would consider it if the reduction was worthwhile from someone I believed would be reliable.

My only no show however was from someone with tons of credentials at the time but since seems to have given up modelling seriously so that would concern me, but if the reduction was worthwhile, I would consider taking the chance. It is after all a risk transfer for cash.

I however suspect I am an exceptionally low risk to models which I have made a priority of any dealings I have had and I guess I would be a little sad to think someone still didn't feel reassured taking a booking from me.

Most transactions on here are one off's and people here seem to use cancelling / not showing as a way of life - I can really see the benefit here as it will encourage both sides to take the shoot seriously but of course the balance of power shifts a bit to the model. But I suspect a couple of no shows from a model who has taken a deposit will spend the end of her career in any serious way, so they have a lot to lose also.

I shoot with so few that a late cancellation on me is likely to end any further working relationship which I find is enough security for me.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE alishaa ElleLaura kategrimsby
antoinewynn antonart bluesden bobmac david1500 djb1 donaldmac dougharding geoffmarchant hylander iestyn Jpdo Kjoservices Ladiesman lprphotos markeos50d MIB nik300 streetmodel tonycsm Willjamieson