Pre-paid model

Pict is off-line
15 May 2013 10:44
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

Just seen a casting offering a 20 percent discount if the booking is confirmed and paid in advance.
Is this a good idea with the aim of eliminating the time wasters and flakey photographers or would you choose not to pay for a model in advance even if she had great references?

Jesfish is off-line
15 May 2013 12:26
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

No.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
15 May 2013 12:36
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

No

Neil Anderson is off-line
15 May 2013 13:02
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

I would (at least in the case of the model you're referring to).
Although I'm not clear what the £10 hat option means.

I can understand that some people would be reluctant to go for it.
I think offering a discount on what is already a fair price is good business
and I applause the enterprise.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Pict is off-line
15 May 2013 13:04
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

Excellent. Leave it to me and I'll take a guess on which of the two views you both dont agree

Peter Hague is off-line
15 May 2013 13:06
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

No. I don't pay anyone until I'm confident that never having contact with them again won't cause me any problems. Bitten too many times with forgotten ID, etc, which, although promises of, "I'll send it first thing in the morning" were made, it never turns up. Once they have the money they lose interest in any follow-up needs.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

TarMoo is off-line
15 May 2013 13:42
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

£20/hr, shoot at models home up to nude. Seems like a good deal to me.

If you booked a studio for 4 hrs, it might cost you £100 in studio fees and if the model no-showed you would be liable for the costs as well as the aggravation of wasted time. There is an element of risk in booking many shoots. You can minimise this by working with experienced people with lots of good feedback and shooting at your home or the model's home.

In this case, the probability of losing your money is quite small. I expect you would also get a good discount if you paid a deposit of £20. I think this model has experienced a lot of time waster photographers, so this is just her way of weeding them out. Maybe other models tend to be booked by more reliable photographers.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Paul Jones is off-line
15 May 2013 14:30
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

No.  Paying in advance offers no guarantee that the shoot will go ahead without a problem.

How many times have we read forum posts where a photographer has sent money in advance, bought train tickets or plane tickets in advance and then the model has let him down?

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

15 May 2013 14:39
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from myshoot
Is this a good idea

Well, probably is for the model.

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Oliver Cook is off-line
15 May 2013 14:49
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

If a model needs cash flow that bad then it would stand to reason that they are in a precarious state, and hence there may be things that 'crop' up to sabotage the planned shoot. It would put me off.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Kimmikitsch wildchief
alanbassettphotography antoinewynn bbphotos bob Brownnwhite ChrisNewton couchestudio david1500 dorrian freddie James7799 JohnDentonPhoto normant parafotos pcmphotography psn redbaron riddell stevegosh tms xposed