Reminder Secure

New Sigma 18-15mm f1.8 across the range!!

Stefan Schiefer is off-line
18 April 2013 02:35
stefanschiefer
Photographer

South Yorkshire

Sigma have just released this new lens

http://petapixel.com/2013/04/18/sigma-drops-bombshell-announces-a-18-35mm-f1-8-lens/

What do you we think?

At present its an APS-C lens which is frustrating as most of us will use full frame.

Would a primarily "landscape" lens really need to go to 1.8?

Seems to be the next step in lens design

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
18 April 2013 02:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from stefanschiefer
At present its an APS-C lens which is frustrating as most of us will use full frame.

The size & weight of a full-frame equivalent would be almost unbearable to use (or at least I'd imagine it would).

I disagree this is a landscape lens at ~28-56mm equivalent (full-frame) as typical landscape lenses hovver either side of ~20mm equivalent, this would however make a very nice general purpose lens being able to shoot at ~56mm equivalent which could do 3/4 shots of people for fashion/glamour and could go wide for location shots.  I'd seriously think of buying one of these if the price is reasonable (say £7-800)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
18 April 2013 02:51
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

It's a 27-52 FF equivalent so a sort of general purpose, even photo journalistic ( street photography) sort of lens with such a large aperture, and no image stabilisation. A 'landscape' lens does not necessarily need such a large max aperture but Sigma are obviously trying to maximise their sales potentials. If its performance is near the 35 mm prime 34 f1.4 it will be a useful piece of kit.

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
18 April 2013 12:35
grahamsphotography
Photographer
grahamsphotography
West Sussex
Chichester

Quote from magpie1
It's a 27-52 FF equivalent so a sort of general purpose, even photo journalistic ( street photography) sort of lens with such a large aperture, and no image stabilisation. A 'landscape' lens does not necessarily need such a large max aperture but Sigma are obviously trying to maximise their sales potentials. If its performance is near the 35 mm prime 34 f1.4 it will be a useful piece of kit.

+1

Ashley Mark Pomeroy is off-line
27 April 2013 14:47
ayearepee
Photographer
ayearepee
Wiltshire
Salisbury

Quote from stefanschieferSeems to be the next step in lens design

Sigma has a track record of launching unusually fast but not particularly good lenses - there was a range of f/1.8 wide angles (20mm, 24mm, 28mm) that were well-specced but otherwise pretty poor. On the other hand the MTF graph looks impressive, and Sigma seems to have turned a corner over the last couple of years. I'm surprised that there haven't been more of these "killer app" lenses for APS-C cameras.

It would be a fun party / club-type lens although a longer range would be even nicer. In my opinion an image stabilised APS-C 40-135mm f/1.8 that can focus closely would be even more awesome as an APS-C lens (it would be an almost direct equivalent of a 70-200mm f/2.8 in full-frame terms, with similar depth of field).

If I recall correctly the previous record-holder was the old Angenieux 28-70mm f/2.6, a full-frame lens of almost mythical stature.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 April 2013 15:12
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from ayearepee

In my opinion an image stabilised APS-C 40-135mm f/1.8 that can focus closely would be even more awesome as an APS-C lens (it would be an almost direct equivalent of a 70-200mm f/2.8 in full-frame terms, with similar depth of field).

As per my comments earlier, such a lens would be excessively heavy, even more so considering most crop bodies are not only small but generally plastic so it'd make an incredibly unbalanced lens on one of those cameras.  When you also consider the cost of such a lens (which I'd guess would be high) it wouldn't sell, especially since I'd imagine most crop body owners are simply after a bargain.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

raw and the cooked is off-line
29 April 2013 01:32
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Quote from grahamsphotography
+1

Sigma actually make rather good lenses these days, as many who have bought one, will tell you!This sound like an interesting lens!

Matthew G is off-line
01 May 2013 05:47
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

You'd kind of hope that an '18-15mm' lens would be f1.8 across the range! That must be the shortest zoom lens ever made in history!!

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Paris
FinePrint portalphotography