Reminder Secure

Why do we shoot?

Emily  is off-lineSilver Member
27 April 2013 16:19
CapturedHearts
Photographer
CapturedHearts
County Durham

Photography to me is like a drug. When I've got a camera in my hand I don't think about anything else other than what I'm doing. All my worries and stresses disappear. I get a huge buzz from it to the point where sometimes the adrenaline is so high my hands shake haha! I'm still wired a few hours after a day shooting, like a wedding, and takes me ages to come down and relax. I love the challenge, being creative, I love learning from what I'm doing, and I love creating images that people like to look at. To know that others get joy form my pictures makes me happy. Pictures are so astounding to me, how one moment in time can create so much feeling and emotion for the viewer is amazing really! I also love the fact that I can make money from doing something that I love, so don't have to work for incompetent pricks with huge egos! My photography dreams are to a) go travelling across Africa and India with. My camera and b, to be published with some of my work. But there is no buzz like the digital one for me x
www.capturedheartsphotography.co.uk

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
27 April 2013 16:50
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from ayearepee
And, yes, I'm sure for a lot of photographers the answer is for the money, which is a perfectly respectable answer. Some people like money because it buys them cars; there's nothing wrong with that, although ultimately the money is power. Not in the James Bond sense of being able to hire hitmen, but in the real-life sense of being able to (e.g.) rent out substandard accomodation to a family of six undocumented immigrants, and never maintain the fabric of the building without caring for the people living in it, because you're standing on the hill looking down on them, and there's nothing they can do to get you.

Hmm, money also gives you the power to feed yourself and maybe your family.

Are you saying photographers have baser money motives than people in other jobs?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Angel3 is off-lineSilver Member
28 April 2013 13:52
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from Alan_Jay
I think your last catagory is rather insulting to probably the vast majority of photographers.

Whilst there are undoubtedly some who see it as an opportunity to look at young naked women,  and of course, the idea is popular amongst certian cliches on internet forums, I doubt that there are very many that do it for that reason.  

I do wonder why you are so determined to include it in your summation,  when it appears to be only you who considers it a reason?

It would be of interest now that you have put so much focus on it,  for you to explain the logic behind it.

Makes me feel disgusted when I hear stories of people claiming they're a photographer, just to see a girl naked- having no desire for creating good pictures.
How pathetic and sad is that.

28 April 2013 17:26
TMG
Photographer

Quote from Alan_Jay
I think your last catagory is rather insulting to probably the vast majority of photographers.
Whilst there are undoubtedly some who see it as an opportunity to look at young naked women,  and of course, the idea is popular amongst certian cliches on internet forums, I doubt that there are very many that do it for that reason.  

I do wonder why you are so determined to include it in your summation,  when it appears to be only you who considers it a reason?

It would be of interest now that you have put so much focus on it,  for you to explain the logic behind it.

I agree, It's an offensive and, quite frankly ludicrous assertion. I've often been very pleased to note male photographers shoot just as many male nudes as female ones.
It's also refreshing to see how little sexual content there is in model photography as a whole.

28 April 2013 17:34
TMG
Photographer

Quote from angelique110
Makes me feel disgusted when I hear stories of people claiming they're a photographer, just to see a girl naked- having no desire for creating good pictures. How pathetic and sad is that.

What about real artists who shoot models, and women in general, with half a mind to sleep with them, let alone get a voyeuristic thrill?
It's a serious question. Artists even have a reputation for being able to get away with behaviour that would not be acceptable in those with a more mundane profession, and very often they do their level best to earn their reputations as out of control shaggers.

ONPortfolios is off-line
29 April 2013 10:33
bane711
Photographer
bane711
West Midlands

I love taking photos, I get a real buzz from seeing my best images enjoyed by others. It doesnt even matter what the genre is, I just love the job.

Mike
www.mikeoneillphotography.wordpress.com http://onpportfolios.tumblr.com/ @Mike_ONeill_ONP

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
29 April 2013 10:50
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

I shoot for fun.
To test myself .
To play with expensive toys (lights etc.)
To make pretty pictures.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Kimmikitsch wildchief
alanbassettphotography antoinewynn bbphotos bob Brownnwhite ChrisNewton couchestudio david1500 dorrian freddie James7799 JohnDentonPhoto normant parafotos pcmphotography psn redbaron riddell stevegosh tms xposed