Reminder Secure

Canon Shuttercounts - never believe what they say!!!!

Les Higgins is off-lineSilver Member
11 April 2013 17:29
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Tyne and Wear

I see so many postings on different forums about shutter counts and always wondered what my cameras would get from their working lives. I bought a EOS 30D six years ago when i first really started out and it was suggested about 100,000 shutter actuations......well, its now coming prettyclose to double that and still going strong. I use it every day as well as my mark 1 EOS5D which itself is approaching 100,000.
Shutter actuations are like milage on a car.....the more you look after them the more you'll get from them.....sorry just thought i'd mention it lol!!

Claypaws is off-lineGold Member
11 April 2013 17:45
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Expected shutter counts are predicted averages. Some will work long past the average. Others will fail long before. I doubt that it has much to do with how you look after it, barring gross misuse. All you know about shutter life is that the shutter will either fail next click or it will not. I have just bought a new Canon. I hope I am as lucky with shutter count as you have been.

Matthew G is off-line
11 April 2013 18:11
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I had a Canon 1DII a few years ago. I had it from new and it was reading around 150,000 shots after a month. On checking with Canon they told me that everytime you put a new compact flash card in to the camera that has been used in a different Canon then it will read the information from that card and get very confused. The actual reading was around 1000. I don't know whether this is still the same but the 1D's from the Mk3 onwards apparently have no shutter count feature for hat reason... That info came from Canon. But I'm sure it wont take long for someone to disagree with that on here :-)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 April 2013 01:39
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from MG
I had a Canon 1DII a few years ago. I had it from new and it was reading around 150,000 shots after a month. On checking with Canon they told me that everytime you put a new compact flash card in to the camera that has been used in a different Canon then it will read the information from that card and get very confused. The actual reading was around 1000. I don't know whether this is still the same but the 1D's from the Mk3 onwards apparently have no shutter count feature for hat reason... That info came from Canon. But I'm sure it wont take long for someone to disagree with that on here :-)

A lot of people simply take the number in the filename and this does indeed get confused if you put another card into the camera that already has files on it.  This is one way some people re-clock their cameras for subsequent resale.

There is however a data entry in EXIF table which verifies the true shutter count of the camera but I believe it is only present on 1-series bodies (I have seen it with my own eyes in the files mine creates).  You may need special software to read it (that allows the display of the entire EXIF table) as it may not show itself in most program's EXIF readers but I can assure you it's there.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 April 2013 01:47
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You can see the shutter count in this image of mine that's been uploaded to Jeffrey's EXIF Viewer

The shutter count is the fifth item under the XMP category "Image Number" and you can see mine has done 12350  (yes, it is a very underused 1Dsmk2)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

White Python is off-line
12 April 2013 03:37
WhitePython
Photographer
WhitePython
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

Quote from RedChecker
You can see the shutter count in this image of mine that's been uploaded to Jeffrey's EXIF Viewer

The shutter count is the fifth item under the XMP category "Image Number" and you can see mine has done 12350  (yes, it is a very underused 1Dsmk2)

Nice post - Like the Exif viewer!
My 1DmkIIn has 22000+ clicks.
Don't know if that's good for a studio camera used from new (6 years old?) I only get it at christmas...

Orson Carter is off-line
12 April 2013 05:30
orsoncarter
Photographer
orsoncarter
Somerset
near Frome

Doing a rough calculation of my number of shoots x average number of pics per shoot , I reckon my 450D has done about 150,000 clicks in the 4.5 years that I've had it.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck

Matthew G is off-line
12 April 2013 05:49
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I was referring to the Exif data, not just the number on the screen that you can reset at any time. canon told me not to vaguely rely on the Exif data. I have no idea whether that information is correct but what i do know is my brand new sealed Canon had not got over 100,000 shots on it after a month of use. When Canon serviced it a year later, they stated it had 25000 actuations. At that point they rest the exif data to read correctly... And if Canon can, Anyone can :-)

Les Higgins is off-lineSilver Member
12 April 2013 09:07
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Tyne and Wear

Nice exif tool is that. It doesn't get the count from my 30D though not sure why. I just picked up a used cheap 40D though as a replacement (its only a workhorse camera ) and hope it lasts as the 30D did!!!

Jason McLean is off-line
12 April 2013 10:00
Freelanderjason
Photographer
Freelanderjason
Surrey
SW London

Load your latest photo to this URL and it works out your shutter count...

http://www.camerashuttercount.com/
More examples of my work on my website - www.jasonmcleanphotography.co.uk

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
caz0054 hayleyrooney pinklilly Tashaholz
bazza53 calandra_images dorrian jayfish jccj1 Jobbo51 keltica Ladiesman mauricesimagery mikeA mlp MrDL nik300 ownimage RealityImaging Spiritofwales steveh32 tms Vinceb Willy_O