This thread is being watched by 2 people
Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
02 May 2013 18:21
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-apologises-for-thatcher-apartheid-policies-413569.html

Even Cameron has apologised for Thatcher's apartheid views. I suggest you ignore whatever tripe the Telegraph would have you believe. But hey, what is point of arguing against somebody so blinkered. I only commented because it is just lies to deny that Thatcher supported apartheid. Lies and offensive lies.
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 May 2013 19:46
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from Hugh

Hugh is a naughty person .

Educate yourself.

Margaret Thatcher’s vital role in ending apartheid

"My former boss Margaret Thatcher hated the South African apartheid system and became a good friend of Nelson Mandela...

...She famously declared the African National Congress to be a "terrorist" organisation, but she gave these "terrorists" diplomatic protection. In the mid 1980s the South African government blew up the ANC offices in London and tried to kidnap its members in London, including Thabo Mbeki and Oliver Tambo. She was obliged to provide armed bodyguards for their most senior officials....

... In a letter to Botha in October 1985 she wrote: "I continue to believe, as I have said to you before, that the release of Nelson Mandela would have more impact than almost any single action you could undertake."

from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/10/margaret-thatcher-apartheid-mandela

and:

"When [Mandela met Thatcher].... he paid tribute to the role she had played in helping to secure his release, saying that “we have much to thank her for”. On visits to London after Mrs Thatcher had left office, Mandela continued to make a point of seeing her to thank her for the role she had played. She had done more to promote peaceful change in southern Africa than all her predecessors combined."

From the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9997714/Margaret-Thatchers-vital-role-in-ending-apartheid.html

That's why I quoted an article in the Guardian - not generally considered to be very right wing.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 May 2013 19:48
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from carshaltonkev
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-apologises-for-thatcher-apartheid-policies-413569.html

Even Cameron has apologised for Thatcher's apartheid views. I suggest you ignore whatever tripe the Telegraph would have you believe. But hey, what is point of arguing against somebody so blinkered. I only commented because it is just lies to deny that Thatcher supported apartheid. Lies and offensive lies.

Thatcher was against Apartheid on economic grounds - because it hindered a free market.

It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
03 May 2013 02:29
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from carshaltonkev
It would appear that you are gullible enough to swallow the propaganda dished out by the Daily Telegraph. Writers there earn a very good living twisting the truth.

When a corrupt and evil regime like that in South Africa at the time controls a country which treats it's majority black population as little better than dogs, who in that population do you suppose by placing harsher trade embargos/sanctions on the country is going to hurt most?

There is only so much that outside sanctions and even politics can do and the people you want removed from running the country will only become more entrenched through isolation which clearly they did.

It's also worth remembering that the black South Africans also lost credibility and support from outside by their violent actions of such as Mandela's wife Winnie and her supporters which have largely been forgotton now, so what more could Thatcher have done at the time?

I enjoy reasoned political debate so I'll look forward to your views on the subject!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
03 May 2013 02:48
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from carshaltonkev
Is this a serious discussion or are you having a laugh? Thatcher an opponent of apartheid?! You are kidding I hope!

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-04-19-00-margaret-thatchers-shameful-support-for-apartheid

No, i just have the ability to accept facts over propeganda and deliberate distorting of the truth for particular agendas

I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 May 2013 06:20
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from tonycsm

It's also worth remembering that the black South Africans also lost credibility and support from outside by their violent actions of such as Mandela's wife Winnie and her supporters which have largely been forgotten now, so what more could Thatcher have done at the time?

Much as I have huge respect for Mandela's actions post apartheid and the introduction of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission which achieved a peaceful transfer of power, plus a similarly huge contempt for the way the white majority treated the blacks - Mandela was in fact a terrorist who supported an armed struggle against the government making it difficult for political leaders to wholeheartedly support him at the time.

Some of the current respected Northern Irish politicians fall into the same category..........

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

click_gotcha is off-line
05 May 2013 13:10
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from mph
Quote from tonycsm It's also worth remembering that the black South Africans also lost credibility and support from outside by their violent actions of such as Mandela's wife Winnie and her supporters which have largely been forgotten now, so what more could Thatcher have done at the time?

Much as I have huge respect for Mandela's actions post apartheid and the introduction of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission which achieved a peaceful transfer of power, plus a similarly huge contempt for the way the white majority treated the blacks - Mandela was in fact a terrorist who supported an armed struggle against the government making it difficult for political leaders to wholeheartedly support him at the time. Some of the current respected Northern Irish politicians fall into the same category..........

The difference between Mandela and the NI politicians is that they had a political route in which to pursue their goals.  Mandela and black South Africans did not.  An armed struggle was totally justified for them.

Rich G is off-line
05 May 2013 13:47
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

It's easy to look back on the past and be critical. Back in those days, Mugabe was considered liberal and Mandela a terrorist.

We judge Thatcher by what we know today - she didn't have that privilege.
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin ElleLaura gggggg Kitty_1 latara_18 Littlemiss01 Tashaholz Vickey
AaronKent alexcrawford bbphotos bengie dorrian FlashHarry100 john_at_tina_spice jonnywoo Kjoservices mlp nibs208 oro oscar p4pFetography plld Rupert stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos VB_Photo