Reminder Secure

Business cards - worth the bother?

05 February 2013 10:50
mg2611
Photographer

The only time I get one from a model is when it's stapled to her invoice. It looks a little more professional than an unprinted invoice such as in the duplicate books from WH Smiths.

G Jack B is off-line
05 February 2013 10:58
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

and there cheap from vista print...
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

KHV is off-line
05 February 2013 11:16
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Didnt you ask this on another forum ?

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
05 February 2013 12:14
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

Quote from jetbrown
My photography often crops up in conversation and I always pass a business card on - suprising how many paid jobs result from random conversations.

Also gives you some credibility if you approach someone with a view to asking them to take part in a shoot.

As it has previously been said, offer a card with a brief explanation of why and ask them to get in contact if they are interested - gives them a sense of control and time to think about it in their own time.

I have started using Moo - although fairly expensive, I love being able to give customers a card which relates to the type of photography they would be interested in. I have cards with wedding scenes / model shoots / boudoir / couples / fitness / parties etc etc

I think it's very relevant for photographers to have business cards, it's a bit different in the case of a model though.

I think I might go with moo!

And yes Keltica. There are different opinions/answers I can get if I ask elsewhere.

Daz Smith is off-line
05 February 2013 15:57
Daz_S
Photographer
Daz_S
Norfolk
Nr Kings Lynn

Top tip: If you laminate your cards, they are less likely to get thrown away!!

On another point, Ive seen business cards that hve space for about 150Mb on the back and you can put them in a CD drive to view extra imagery. Are they worth getting, or are people skittish about putting stuff like that in their computer?

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
05 February 2013 16:12
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from Daz_S
Ive seen business cards that hve space for about 150Mb on the back and you can put them in a CD drive to view extra imagery.

These are soooo yesterday!
Business cards with flip-out USB flash drives holding as much as 16gig are reasonably common these days.
I have both coin shaped and credit card sized versions sitting on my desk at the moment.
Bob

Peter Hague is off-line
05 February 2013 16:53
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from Daz_S
Top tip: If you laminate your cards, they are less likely to get thrown away!! On another point, Ive seen business cards that hve space for about 150Mb on the back and you can put them in a CD drive to view extra imagery. Are they worth getting, or are people skittish about putting stuff like that in their computer?

Aren't most compters slot loading these days? You need a tray to use a CD business card. And optical media is all but dead now, anyway.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Gerry is off-line
05 February 2013 17:26
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I havn't personally as I use everything electronically - but at work I know plenty of people who seem to buy / requisition business card holders as they feel at ease browsing through those. It is a sort of "boys toy" for males of a certain age - which lets be honest is probably a reasonable amount of photographers

For those individuals, you may just be that one step ahead of models who dont give out cards and on an equal footing to those that do
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

UK2media (formally TLXmedia) is off-line
06 February 2013 07:39
TLXmedia
Photographer

London
South London / Croydon

Our humble opinion -

For a photographer - business cards great for weddings, portfolio/portrait work and events. But for Glamour/Web based assignments (where most of the contact is via email) not really worth it.

For a Model (given the contact with a model is frequently word of mouth, exchanging numbers), or replying via email to postings etc - not really that relevant, far better to set up a basic online portfolio.

Gail

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 February 2013 08:09
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

As photographers usually use their real names, it is reasonably easy to design a card for any situation, whereas models usually have different personas for modelling and would not want to use the cards for all situations where a card might be handy.

So I rather doubt that business cards would really be worth it for models
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sammy_Louise
Colinpierce dirkus draken FlashHarold Hioctane Jan77 jphoto mareeoosh Redbaron viewphotographic
harbourstudio