Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
18 March 2013 10:35
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from alexcrawford
so all posty has to do is put a squiggle in the sign here box and pocket the packet, really?

That's never happened to me before touch wood.....

...however, I have had a few instances where I have ordered a few small but reasonably expensive items before.  To help protect the item I have paid extra for "signed for delivery".  Imagine how you feel when the postie just shoves them through the door, without ever asking for a signature that you've paid for.  The local sorting office are just not interested, and head office even less.

Chaz is off-line
03 April 2013 12:33
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
Devon
Cullompton

Quote from HowardJ

Sure, it's says you can in the large box (entitled "the following items are allowed in the international mail") at the bottom of page 2 of the PDF I provided the link to in my post. Provided they're in the camera you can send them internationally. Just put the battery in the camera before you pack it and you've complied with their regulations and its no longer considered dangerous. Attach a spare to the battery charger and I guess you can argue that's also protecting it from short circuit and crushing.

Presumably they view the circuitry of the camera and the protection of its casing to be sufficient to allow them to be shipped in the device.

Sorry you have it wrong as he is taking about a spare battery. [Also this is why 7Dayshop have stop selling them] this is what It says:-

Electronic devices containing lithium batteries
(such as mobile phones, MP3 players and digital cameras)
are allowed in the International mail but only when the
lithium battery is connected to the device.

Barry Usher is off-lineGold Member
03 April 2013 13:27
dreambhug
Photographer

East Sussex
Polegate

This is similar to not using a mobile phone at a petrol filling station. An episode of Brainiacs (yes, I am easily amused) showed a caravan filled with open petrol cans and several mobile phones. When all ringing at the same time there was no explosion.

HowardJ is off-line
03 April 2013 13:40
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from dreambhug
This is similar to not using a mobile phone at a petrol filling station. An episode of Brainiacs (yes, I am easily amused) showed a caravan filled with open petrol cans and several mobile phones. When all ringing at the same time there was no explosion.

Yep and the US programme Myth Busters did a similar thing and were unable to cause a constant mist of petrol to burn when in the vicinity of a mobile phone. Apparently the biggest cause of fires at petrol stations is the release of static electricity which is mostly caused by the type of clothing worn by the person and them rentering their vehicle while fueling was in progress.

There's a similar issue with the use of electronic devices on planes during takeoff and landing. The US FAA is now conducting tests which appear to be proving they have no negative effect on the safety of the plane and it's likely that the rules will be soon be changed. The only problem I can see if the get noise from people using the devices.

PeterB is off-lineGold Member
03 April 2013 14:39
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Surrey
Hampton Court

This is the HSE FAQ, the mobile phone bit is towards the bottom... which, as is all to often the case when reading the actual document, perfectly sensible... if refer you to my previous post about what the ICAO carriage actually say.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum-faqs.htm

Matthew G is off-line
03 April 2013 19:36
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Gees its incredible how off topic a post can get. My post was simply a reminder to not send cameras through international royal mail without a battery in them... I was lucky as mine got delivered in the end. What i did learn from the experience is the words international tracked' mean nothing at all. Royal mail had no idea where my camera was for two weeks! They never came back to me ever.

Paul Hodson is off-line
04 April 2013 01:11
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from MG
Gees its incredible how off topic a post can get. My post was simply a reminder to not send cameras through international royal mail without a battery in them.

now I am confused! You said

"The leaflet is extremely confusing but basically says you cant send lithium batteries through international post now unless they are inside of the device."

Surely your reminder means "don't send batteries through the post unless they have a camera outside them"! You can send a camera without a battery.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Matthew G is off-line
04 April 2013 07:47
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

i think most people gathered what i meant the initial post. It was for information only.

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura mandymack MissCaraJane
BrianE Dave@studio99 eosfan GSC4X PTw2018 rscott360 splitsecondphotography1 supernova